ad: MultusSDR-1

Hallicrafters P-26 Power Supply High Voltage Connectors

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N3SWR, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3SWR

N3SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all you Hallicrafters enthusiasts..

I'm looking for a source / any info, for the high voltage connectors seen on top of the P-26 power supply and on the back of the HA-2/HA-6 transverters. Actually now that I'm thinking about it I also need the black plug in connectors that resemble a tube socket. What I have are both transverters and a pristine almost new in the box P-26 supply but no cables.

I've read here on another thread (http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/hallicrafters-p-26-power-supply.245266/) that the high voltage cable is made by Johnson. Google makes me believe it's just the brand of cable/wire and not the actual connector. If anyone has source or can point me to a place to find these connectors please do. I could rig something up but that's really not what I want to do unless I'm forced to.

Thanks!
    N3SWR 73!

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

sounds like one of them is an 8 pin octal socket. possibly an 11 pin version.
    These were common on older equip. for multiple line control connections.
    You can make one from and old octal tube. just bust out the glass etc and hear the pin and shake out the solder.
    Or check RADIODAZE. the have a lot of stuff to rebuild old radios.
    tubes connectors, terminal strips, grillcloth etc.

3. N3SWR

That's one way to do it ;) I should be able to handle the octal plugs. As for the other HV connector let me see if I can put up a picture here from that thread I mentioned above. Hope he doesn't mind..

The two red HV connectors are what I'm looking for. Maybe that will help anyone wondering what I'm looking for.

4532609493_9d36f50d1c_o.jpg

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The 11-pin Black circular connectors (used with tube/relay) are Amphenol/WPI 78/86-series, also used on the Heathkit HP-23 and Collins S-Line 516F-2 power supplies.
    85ED5400-867B-44DB-8826-4CE7EDDE4E6A.jpeg
    Wire Pro 78-S-11

40C2C50A-5ADA-40DD-AB8B-ED6E4C149ECB.jpeg
    Wire Pro 86-CP-11

11 pin SOCKET (female) is part number: 78-S-11
    11 pin PLUG (male) is part number: 86-CP-11
    Metal shield COVER connector is part number: 86-3-13
    Metal shield COVER connector with cable STRAIN RELIEF (for cable usage): 86-3-24

The Johnson/Cinch HV Safety Terminal are still available and still in production.
    These connector come in Black and Dark Red.

RF Parts
    https://www.rfparts.com/connectors-highvoltage.html
    37001C - HV Safety Terminal, Red Shell - $ 7.95 (In Stock)
    A2C9D69F-4D91-4BD7-8B2C-2458C7EF1BDD.jpeg 4E724079-F30B-4DC4-A987-F69236B6BB47.jpeg ECCF610D-04AD-4726-8D37-2427AC6C558A.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

There's actually a correct name for the 11 pin connectors that are popular on hollow-state ham gear.

The term is "magnal".

I am not making this up.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W4NNF and W9GB like this.
  6. N3SWR

WOW looks like I need to send out a few coffees. That made my day! Thanks to everyone!!!

73! Eric, N3SWR

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  8. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric,
    I may have some of what you need. I know there is a P-26 supply in the shop. Remember seeing the cable to the transverters. Should be a 5894 tube also. You know all to well the supply is a heavy dude. Any interest in any of it?

Ed WA4NJY
    Bradenton, Fl
    wa4njy@yahoo.com

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

SWR:

You need to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors in the P-26 unless that has already been done. The capacitors visible in the photographs definitely look original and, if so, they are a time bomb waiting to go off and then cause all sorts of damage to the power supply.

I do have a P-26 that I use with my HA-2 and HA-6 transverters. In addition, I have a home brew equivalent that I use with my HA-2 that was converted to 222 MHz.

The Hallicrafters transverters are excellent and they can be driven with exciters that put out as much as 100-watts.

Glen, K9STH