Hallicrafters P-26 HA-2 HA-6 Power Cable wiring

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2CLX, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2CLX

WA2CLX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen,

1) Do you bead blast, strip, etc to get the old paint/rust off to create a pristene surface to paint on? (any recommendations there)
    2) With the paint formula, do you use a sprayer to apply it?
    3) Did you add anything to the paint, like a surfactant/leveler or drying agent to make it more uniform?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. WA2CLX

WA2CLX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That should have been pristine (hate spelling errors)

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually sand the old paint from the cabinet using an orbital hand unit. Years ago, when I had a glass bead machine I would remove paint by "blasting". However, when I sold the company in 1980 the glass bead machine went with it! I have tried chemical stripping but that is really messy!

Virtually all of the "boat anchor" manufacturers, including Collins Radio, did not prime most, if not all, of their cabinets before painting.

After removing all the old paint I then prime the surface. I have found that the Gray Primer #20010 manufactured by ColorPlace works very well. This can be found at Walmart for about $1.10 a can. When properly applied, the primer does a very good job of "filling in" imperfections on the surface of the cabinet.

I have a compressor and paint gun. Normally I add between 10 percent and 15 percent water to the acrylic paint so that it flows evenly from the paint gun. Although I have several paint guns, I have found that the "touch up" gun sold at Harbor Freight works best. It holds about a "cup" of paint which is enough paint to do 2 or 3 cabinets about the size of the HA-2/HA-6. Right now they are on sale for $9.99. The gun is of excellent quality and cleans very easily. The URL for the gun is

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

With acrylic paint you do have to let it sit for between 48 and 72 hours for the paint to fully harden. I dries to the touch in a few minutes but takes time to fully "cure".

If you do not have a compressor there are some systems sold for around $20 that allow you to paint without the normal arrangement. They are a bit of a "pain in the posterior" to use, but for doing only 1 or 2 cabinets they do work. Since I do have a "proper" painting system I have never used one of these.

I do not use anything to "level" the paint, etc. One thing is to paint on a horizontal surface when possible. This helps prevent "runs" in the paint. I learned how to paint when I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States (1970 until Motorola went out of that "end" of the business in 1979). Painting is not difficult, but it does require some practice to acquire the proper techniques, etc.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.