Hallicrafters P-26 HA-2 HA-6 Power Cable wiring

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2CLX, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2CLX

WA2CLX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for guidance on a wiring schematic for the dual 11-pin terminated cable going between the P-26 power supply, and either of the HA-2 or HA-6 transverters.

The schematics for units on either end of the cable, and some of the text lead me to think that it's not just a simple pin-to-pin cable assembly. There is no reference to the factory part that shipped with the units, other than there was a 22ga wire dangling from a connector on one end that could be used to slave the transverters to the 10meter host driver for simultaneous VOX operation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Phil

2. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like 1 to 1 to me. Looking at both the HA-2/HA-6 manuals on the http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/ site, the P-26 supply is shown contained there in ... and certainly looks like 1 to 1 ..!

These are 11 pin socket connectors , same as the Collins KWM-2/32S-X connectors.

1 = Ground
    2/3 = Open
    4 = -90V
    5 = Open
    6 = +290V
    7 = grounded during transmit (from a relay in the HA-X)\
    8 = 117V AC to switch in HA-X (to turn HA-X on)
    9 = 117V AC Primary in
    10 = connected to 10 in mating connector
    11 = 117 VAC Primary in.

These do NOT include the HV wiring. That is straight forward.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you think it's not a pin for pin passthrough?

Seems to me that it is, looking at both schematics (they're both on BAMA).

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CLX:

Actually, the 22 gauge wire MUST be grounded to enable the transverters to go into transmit. This is accomplished by using the same connection that usually would control a linear amplifier. I use a 1N4007 diode in series with these lines (cathode end to the exciter) to keep from keying both at the same time. This wire goes to pin 2 on the power supply plug on the back of the transverters.

Do you have the manuals on both units?

For the HA-6 go to http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hallicra/ha6/

For the HA-2 go to http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hallicra/ha2/

Both are in DJVU format. If you need a viewer do a "google" on WinDjView and then download the plugin.

The cables are identical. If you are only using 1 unit then you do have to put in the dummy plug into the PS-26. The cables are wired so that if you have both the HA-2 and HA-6 "turned on" the AC into the PS-26 is turned off! Only one unit can be on at the same time, otherwise the AC to the power supply is disconnected. I do have both the HA-2 and HA-6. Both of my power cables are 1:1. That is pin 1 goes to pin 1, etc. Be sure and do NOT connect anything to the open pins on the power supply connectors. As mentioned above, pin 2 at the transverter end goes to a separate wire which has to be grounded in order to switch the transverter from receive to transmit.

My particular HA-2 has been modified with a Hallicrafters suggested modification to prevent a frequency shift of the crystal oscillator when the unit is used on CW. Basically, another 8.2K ohm 2 watt resistor is put in parallel with R-38 and then the 0A2 is installed on the crystal oscillator plate side of the resistor to ground.

You can see my HA-2 and HA-6 transverters in the 3rd photo at

http://k9sth.com/uploads/K9STH_Shack_Photos.pdf

Glen, K9STH

5. WA2CLX

Thanks to Glen and William for filling in some of the details.

I'd only received the units the night before and hadn't studied the schematics long, but knew there was a bit more going on than a straight parallel connection and hadn't put it all together. Per Glen's comment, the 22ga wire is not only used for VOX, but also anytime the HA-X's need to be put in transmit mode.

I haven't pulled off the cabinets on either of the HA-2 or HA-6 units, and hope they survived shipping OK. Packaging could have been a bit more robust, and one of them had the opportunity to hit a box sidewall with the front panel/cabinet edge as the 'stuffing' shifted over to one side. Also, no cushioning on the bottom at all, so if they were tossed or bounced the shock was going directly into the units. The power supply looks like it had been accumulating dust like rings on a tree, hope it cleans up well. Do know I will replace all the electrolytic caps before even thinking of powering it up.

Thanks again folks for your helpful comments, and Glen for that HA-2 mod not found in the manual (was it in some Hallicrafters bulletin?).

Phil WA2CLX

6. K9STH

I don't know if the modification ever became an "official" Hallicrafters bulletin. The instruction sheet for doing the modification is one of those "olde tyme" thermo copy sheets that has turned almost black over the decades. The sheet was with my manual as well as the added 0A2 penciled in on the schematic.

The modification was done in my HA-2 before I acquired it. My HA-6 has only been "around" for less than a year. I had to replace the fan in it because the old one was very noisy (bad bearings). I really need to go into the HA-6 and add the additional voltage regulator.

I don't use the HA-6 very often, my main SSB/CW rig is a Heath SB-110A. However, I have had the HA-2 since the early 1970s and when I got a chance to get the HA-6 I got it!

Glen, K9STH

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The HA6 is a fine transverter, Ive made a few changes to mine and have been using it for 20 years for serious DXing and contesting driving a modified NCL-2000 at 1200W out. I also have the PS-26 and HA-2 but use something else on 2M.

I'll have to see if that mod is installed as the majority of my DX work is on CW and there is no problem whatsoever running VOX CW in pileup mode. In fact the HA-6 hasnt burped once since I started using it.

Carl
    KM1H

8. K9STH

The modification sheet reads as follows:

Complaint: A "yoop on CW (frequency shift with load). Incidental FM along with SSB output.

Cause: A change of plate voltage on the crystal oscillator (about 5 volts) with loading creates a frequency shift of about 200 cps.

Cure: A regulator tube installed as indicated below reduces the effect at least one order of magnitude if not more. (The regulator tube was installed by supporting it with #14 tinned wire under the chassis.)

Then the portion of the schematic showing the changes.

The person who owned the HA-2 before me had Xeroxed the thermo copy sheet trying to get it more visible. It helped a little! But, I still had to strain my eyes to read the sheet.

As for me, I use the HA-2 as my primary 2-meter CW/SSB station and don't use the HA-6 very much.

Glen, K9STH

9. WA2CLX

Pulled the cabinets off the HA-2 and HA-6 over the weekend and did a cursory inspection and cleaning on both units. They appear to have survived shipping with no obvious physical damage. The HA-2 final tuned circuit must be silver plated, and it looks really oxidized if so.

I'd really like to get the cabinets bead blasted and repainted with that hard enamel paint, but am not sure where to go for that to get a good match to the original Hallicrafters grey. The HA-2 has some pretty severe scratching on the black part of the front panel, and would like to find a matching flat black to brush on those wide scratches (1/8 - 1/4" wide in places).

Would it be worth removing, cleaning and re-installing, or is it likely the basic conductivity under the nuts is still good? Might just be fine and it looks ugly but functionality is OK.

I do have a source for those 11-pin male connectors and snap-on backshells (with or without a strain relief clamp) if anyone else needs those.

Looks like I'll now have to get my old 2m beam out of storage, and buy a 6m one and get them both up on the roof before it gets too cold/icy to be up there.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on VHF as I haven't been active since college (don't ask how many decades it's been since then please). I've still got the Knight-Kit TR-108 AM transceiver and companion V-107 VFO, but haven't powered it up in ages.

10. K9STH

The Sherwin-Williams formula for the cabinet color on the HA-2, HA-6, and other "light gray" units is on page 3 at

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Boat_Anchor_Paints.pdf

I use acrylic paint which "cures" to a very hard finish in 48 to 72 hours after application and is water based. The paint "dries to the touch" in a couple of minutes. However, it is not fully hard until 48 to 72 hours later.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.