HALLICRAFTERS HT-32A & SX-101 Is this still a viable station ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2II

K2II Ham Member QRZ Page

A very stout and large table will be required to support those ancient Hallicafter anchors.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The SX-101 Mark IIIA also had a product detector.

I may have an original Mark IIIA manual around "somewhere"! There were not that many Mark IIIA versions made before they came out with the SX-101A. The Mark IA was another short production and I don't know if there ever was a separate manual for that version or just an addendum to the Mark I manual.

Of course, the stability and frequency calibration were major factors. Also, I liked the selectivity (crystal filter) and the filter phasing better.

Hallicrafters got caught in the progression to product detectors. The original SX-111 (match to the HT-37) did not have a product detector but the SX-111 Mark I did have a product detector.

It may sound like heresy, but, for SSB, I definitely like the Heath SB-301 better than any of the "A" Line Collins receivers and the 75S-1 / 75S-2. Not the 75S-3- series, but the 75A-1, 75A-2, 75A-2A, 75A-3, and 75A-4 even with a product detector added to the 75A-2, 75A-2A, and 75A-3. Of course, the 75A-4 came with a product detector.

The Heath RX-1 Mohawk is often maligned. However, a good portion of that is due to the 3rd gain control for the intermediate frequency stages in addition to the "normal" r.f. gain and a.f. gain (volume). I do have a Mohawk and I definitely like it better than any of the SX-101 variants or the National NC-300 and NC-303. Also have an RME-6900 and it is better, in sound quality, than the Mohawk. The Heath MR-1 Comanche and HR-20 (same basic design as the MR-1 but with improvements) are very good SSB receivers and AM as well. But, they don't have any narrow filtering for CW.

Glen, K9STH

N2EY likes this.
  3. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

K1ZJH de W7ASA

THAT Sir, is a REAL radio shack! Gorgeous pics. Thanks for posting them.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

4. K9TTS

K9TTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an SX-101A and HT-32B setup, plus an HT-37/NC-300 paired, SB-301/401 twins, and a number of other boat anchors that I rotate. While my FT-950 outperforms them, I find the old tube stuff a lot more fun to operate. Mostly casual on 80 meters, no serious DXing. I have another NC-300 and a couple more HT-37s to go through. 3 SX-28's, one coupled with a Heathkit Marauder, a couple of DX-100s. Looking for a Mohawk RX-1 to mate with the Marauder.
    What else...FT-101E, several other SB and HW series Heathkits, couple of Kenwoods, a Hamerlund 170A and a few others. Love the looks of the older stuff.

73 de Mark/KB1PLC