Hairy American Magician ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An acronym certainly does not need periods, but full capitalization still is not necessarily indicative of an acronym.

I just play it safe and talk about amateur radio.:)

N2EY and N4UP like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for goodness sake, let him/her out of the trunk already! It's probably:rolleyes: well cooked already!

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The capitalization of "ham" is a relatively new thing, propelled by people who have no clue about ham radio or its history. Not only is it not correct, but it takes much longer to type, and stands out to show the lack of knowledge of the person typing it. You can go back to any issue of QST or 73 mag and see that it is never capitalized, except to show emphasis, or as part of an advertisement where other words are also capitalized.

My belief is that it somehow infiltrated from CB, but I can't prove that. But if you look at written media from sources who are not amateur radio operators, often times you will see the whole word capitalized, in direct conflict with how we, as amateurs, use the word.

N2EY likes this.
  4. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The CB craze was well before my time, so I have no basis from which to hold any animosity toward CB.

In any case, all language is fluid and always has been. To expect it to remain stagnant is utterly futile and only leads to frustration. If I can understand the meaning of what someone says, it really does not matter how they say it.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thenn u wood bee okay wit ennyone spellin thangs azz dey chuze, azz long azz u kan understend wat iz ment?

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that's how most social media operates today. :D

Sometimes I wonder when we're going to bring back public education. :eek: :(

VK6APZ, WZ7U, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Have Another Mozzarella Stick."

Or maybe, "Have Another Meatball Sub."

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hearing aids mandatory? :eek:

K2CAJ likes this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

When I read this post, I had to wonder. Then I read the signature line.

Then it started to make sense. In a convoluted sort of mistaken way.