Hairy American Magician ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not gray? Who decides it's grey or gray?

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not looking in the diaper, you do it. :D

K2XT likes this.
  3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hypothesis? Naw.... Just pontificating alternate possibilities.

Q: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    A: The Rooster.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham? Wasn't he in the original "Star Wars movies?":confused: You know, Ham Solo.:rolleyes:

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Think you are confusing that movie and Ham Alone starring Macaulay Culkin. :p

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, no. But you’re close.

You’re thinking of Ham Salad, co-star of Hardware Wars, played by Bob Knickerbocker.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077658/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

“You’ll laugh! You’ll cry! You’ll kiss three bucks goodbye!”

And remember... Basketball is a peaceful planet.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Pedant's corner:

HAM is NOT an acronym (see what I did there).

H.A.M. IS an acronym (see what I did there).

h.a.m. is also an acronym (though incorrect in any usage).

If we follow common usage, writing 'HAM radio' is only emphasizing the word; not indicating an acronym.

If capitalization indicates an acronym, classical Latin just become a much greater chore.

8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may very well be "technically" correct, though a quick search of "acronym" would suggest that acronyms do NOT ( see WHAT I did there ) commonly appear with periods. For example, HRD and HRO. Those are acronyms. How often do you see those with periods. Likewise FBI, NASA, CIA. None are routinely used with periods. Some acronyms are pronounced as words, like NATO, and some are pronounced as individual letters, like FBI. Some may say "fibby" but who's counting.

This is especially true in government and military usage of acronyms, When I worked for DoD we routinely made up acronyms to represent programs. In fact, we often named our programs based on how appealing the acronym was. Likewise when I was with DOE. We never used them with periods.

But you are right in that most people who use "HAM" in the context of amateur radio are not using it as an acronym. But HAM = Hairy American Magician is an acronym.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"They " capitalize HAM because they learned CB was capitalized. "I put my CB in the truck" is just like "I put my HAM in the truck".

N5PAR, K1OIK, K7JEM and 2 others like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't capitalize my cb. Mainly because it's worth nearly nothing, except to a cber. No capital to leverage against in my example. But there was a time when a cobra 2000 was considered royalty, before the "export" (read - crap) radios became the standard, WAY back in the twentieth century.