ad: wmr-1

Hairy American Magician ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Either that, or a Pint of Jim Beam about a 100 yards from the polls...
    (It's a southern thing, most northerners wouldn't understand...)
    Ymmv

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Capitalizing all of the letters is so troubling to me that I've decided to take up a different hobby. I haven't decided if I'm going to take up STAMP or maybe COIN.

N5PAR, K2XT, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't stand it...but.... It seems to me a lot of younger hams are using the "got into HAM" silliness, so I am thinking it will become the norm in a decade or so. Well, so be it. There are worse things, I suppose. It's pretty far down on my list of things to worry about, anyway. Right after "feral unicorn invasion." :)

I would much rather hear a young'un say "I'm into HAM" than "Ham radio? What is that?" ;)

Both "shack" and radio shack go back to the earliest days of shipboard wireless.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't heard that one. But I doubt it. I think the most reasonable explanation is the one that's most always been given. A "ham" was a ham-fisted landline op, a lid. What started out as a pejorative for them came to be applied to the new radio amateurs, too, who, unlike "lid" adopted it as a badge of pride. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  5. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I'm familiar with that hypothesis, but it has never struck me as convincing or reasonable. Maybe one of these days some
    obscure old letters will surface wherein some comments will shed light on the matter.

Berj / KI3U

6. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to fly a nice little COIN fighter....SF-260.... Got nearly as much time upside down in one as right side up. Loads of fun.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham And Mustard

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Poupon dude, grey poupon.

Who names a condiment after a diaper condition anyway? :confused:

9. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure that the diaper condition wasn't named after the condiment?

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, your hypothesis is chicken or the egg? Hmmm