H.A.M.s always make it harder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Oct 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be one hell of an estate sale! Someone in the future will be hauling off rigs and amps worth thousands for a couple hundred bucks each.

Future generations have a funny way of not caring about what their parents/grandparents cared about - they just want to turn everything bequeathed to them into quick cash.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    KE0GXN likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're on the good side of the dirt, Eric :)

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

W5TTP, K1LKP, N0TZU and 3 others like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL yeah, that would not be an estate sale, it would be a ham fest to rival Dayton HAHAHAHA

KE0GXN and W4HWD like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I couldn't or wouldn't climb a tower as with most of us. I prefer crank down/ tilt over towers where the antenna is accessible from ground level. This limits the height of the tower to about 55-60 feet.
    The MA-40 tubular tower I bought used back in 1991. It retracts down to 20 feet. The previous owner was moving and wanted to get rid of it at a very cheap price. Somehow, myself and another ham loaded it on his pickup truck and got it back to my QTH without being stopped by the Parkway Police.
    upload_2020-10-17_20-20-23.png

upload_2020-10-17_20-21-5.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    VK4HAT and W4IOA like this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not impressed. I have a Barbie & Ken Dream Antenna for 10m.

W2AI likes this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3/4 of the general population lives "paycheck-to-paycheck".

WA1GXC likes this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

George Burns' good friend and personal assistant during George's last years, Daniel Dhoor, thought there could be a chance that someone could take a few things with them into the afterlife. He didn't want to take any chances, and he didn't want his good friend George to be without cigars and a little bit of cash when he died.

So, when Dhoor made final arrangements for George Burns' shortly after George turned 100 years old, Dhoor wrote:

"We got his (sheet) music and placed it under his hands. We dressed him in his best dark blue suit, light blue shirt and red tie. We placed three cigars in his pocket, put on his toupee, put on the watch Gracie gave him, his ring and, in his pocket, his keys and his wallet with 10 hundred-dollar bills, a five and three ones, so wherever he went to play bridge, he’d have enough money."

Say Goodnight Gracie. RIP George, and I hope you still have enough cash left for a lot more games of bridge.

(As for HAMs, H.A.M.s, hams, etc., there are many stories about how the name came about. One involves some of George Burn's early and contemporary Borscht Belt communities -- and many other stories.

This Wikipedia writeup "Entymology of ham radio" is one of the best historical, true/false stories about how we became HAMS/Hams/hams/H.A.M.S. , like:

"This widely circulated but fanciful tale claims that, around 1911, an impassioned speech made by Harvard University student Albert Hyman to the United States Congress, in support of amateur radio operators, turned the tide and helped defeat a bill that would have ended amateur radio activity entirely by assigning the entire radio spectrum to the military. An amateur station that Hyman supposedly shared with Bob Almy and Reggie Murray, which was said to be using the self-assigned call sign HAM (short for Hyman-Almy-Murray), thus came to represent all of amateur radio. However, this story seems to have first surfaced in 1948, and practically none of the facts in the account check out, including the existence of "a little station called HAM" at Harvard in the first place."
    And then having grown up on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border, I became friends with some of the Hamm family, the founders of the Hamm's brewery.

[​IMG]

K8XG, N0TZU and W4IOA like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

From the land of sky blue waters

W4KJG likes this.
  9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. But it isn't from the land of Sky Blue Waters any longer. It is made all over the place. Locally, in Virginia and West Virginia, it is typically sold for $2.99 or $3.99 per 6-pack of 16 oz., cans. It is far from a premium beer these days.

The Hamm family sold the name and franchise when I was in 8th or 9th grade (mid-1960s). My Hamm family friends did not become wealthy with the selling of the brewery. I think the brewery building is still on the St. Paul side of the Mississippi, just across the river from the Minneapolis-St Paul international airport.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.INCREDIBLE HAM OP.png

A.Got any ham gear.jpg

A.Ham breaks record -779 QSOs without a bathroom break1.jpg

RAGCHEWER DONATES BRAIN TO MEDICAL SCIENCE
    A.Ragchewer donates brain to medical research1.jpg

A.Kit Fun.jpg

TRY IT WITH THE LINEAR ON THIS TIME!
    A.TRY IT WITH THE LINEAR THIS TIME!.jpg

---Layne AE1N