Guys and gals...Lower your antennas!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N4EGA, Jan 25, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week, a buddy and I went to the local National Forest to recon a few camp and fishing spots. We were out all day and I did not return home until midnight. I was pretty tired and forgot to lower the dual band antenna mounted on top of my Wrangler top rack before pulling into the garage...CRUNCH!

Fortunately nothing serious happened to it besides some scratched paint as I tend to drive with it pointing about 45 degrees to the rear of the Jeep. But it sure as heck sounded bad!

So, let that be a warning for you haha.

WRJC600 likes this.
  2. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer. My other big hobby/activity is cycling and I worked in a bike shop for 5 years. I know many riders who've driven into their garages with their bikes on the roof of their car. It can be pretty bad with major damage to the bike and often the car and garage. There're many ideas and some gadgets out there to reduce the chances of doing that. One is to put a sticky over the garage remote button to remind you before pulling into the garage. Another trick is to put a garbage can or some other obstacle just inside the garage door when leaving so you have to get out and move it when pulling in. There are many others... None are foolproof.

N7EKU likes this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to have a camper van with an antenna too tall for the garage. My system was to keep the antenna in a closet in the back of the van when not in use. When I wanted to use the antenna, I'd trade the garage remote for the antenna, always keeping one of them back in that closet.

KL4BT, KB0QIP, WRJC600 and 5 others like this.
  4. N4EGA

Excellent idea.

5. N4EGA

Used to be a bike rider and had a roof rack. Almost made this mistake and just happened to remember the bikes just as was "this close" to hitting the garage.

6. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Comes with age. Like where the heck are my glasses? On top of my head you idiot.

7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Doing something with the remote is a great idea, but all our cars have had built-in openers for quite a while. My solution for the bikes has been to use a hitch mount rack...which is great as long as I don't back into something or get rear ended.

Last mobile setup I had I ran a Hamstick on the front right corner of the hood, so hopefully I'd see it before pulling into the garage. I never did hit it.
    P3250014.JPG

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use to put my rolling trash can in front of the bay the car came out of (the other bay had my other car) to prevent me from doing that, when I got back into cycling briefly and had a garage. In my earlier cycling days I didn't have one.

Now the roof rack is on my second car and the garage is occupied by my main daily driver and my motorcycle with the backup car and roof rack consigned to the driveway behind the bike, so if I starter cycling again I'd be set now too.

But I've seen it too. Not pretty.

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the day I had a rear Enflight rack. Anyone remember those? I was driving down the highway at about 60 mph and heard a noise, looked in my mirror to see bike and rack still attached tumbling down the road behind me. I hadn't secured it well enough.

Thank goodness there was no one behind me (most important) and it didn't hit anyone, and, secondarily, damage to the bike was minimal. Bent my rear wheel which was attached to the rack but it was able to be straightened for the time, and I later had it rebuilt, scratched up my STI brake/shift lever on one side but didn't actually damage it other than surface scratches, scuffed but also did not damage in any functional way my Look pedals, and tore my handlebar tape. That was the extent of it.

10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.No more garage parking.jpg

A.No more garage parking.jpg

---Layne AE1N

Attached Files:

K6EEN, KB0QIP and W7EDC like this.