Guy line *NOISE*

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KV4JW, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 20' rooftop mast with four sets of two guy lines. One guy is at 10', one is at 18'. The guys are dacron rope.

When the wind blows, I'm hearing this dull noise that's beginning to get on my nerves. I've researched this with little result, I'm seeing things that refer to "aeolian vibration".

It sounds very similar to this.

I've seen little spiral things that can be put on guy lines, and even little spacers/damper things. I'd prefer to not buy anything if I could make it myself though.

Advice, please?

2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the mast hollow, and are the ends capped off?
    I would think it takes a pretty good wind on the
    guys to make much sound, but a hollow mast could
    be working like a large flute, or organ pipe?
    Jon

3. KV4JW

It is hollow, but capped at the top.

4. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Capped off at the bottom?
    Jon

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps, you have too much tension on the guys.

many people think the guy wires purpose it to hold up the tower/mast.

that is actually incorrect, the purpose is to prevent it from swaying too much.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KV4JW

Not capped at the bottom, but it is sitting inside of a tripod with a "cup" that holds whatever mastpipe is in it. Don't see how any wind could be getting in the bottom.

I do have the guys tensioned pretty good, but they're not overly tight IMO. Just "taut".

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suggest looking at "Bow string dampener / silencers". At the simplest level a number of yarn or string strands are tied at the center of the bow string. There are all sorts of commercial gadgets too.

N0TZU and KV4JW like this.
  8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

KV4JW likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once you eliminate the noise you can hear, you may just move it to a different frequency your dog can hear.

Of course, to determine that, you really have to ask your dog.:)

10. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

You have created another Galloping Gertie.

I know it all too well. Look at my Qrz page. All those verticals will "sing" at certain wind velocities. I have been able to tune the frequency at which the pipes resonate acoustically by moving the guy attach points up and down the pipes, but I have never found a combination where they never sing.