ad: CQMM-1

Guitarist of famous band "EAGLE" as a collegue amateur radio !!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jun 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Eagles are playing in Houston this month. :)

2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it true that he had a house dedicated to an AM station?

3. K3GW

K3GW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Joe Welsh's father was licensed? In my dad's QSL cards (W3NVS - sk) I found a QSL card from Los Angeles, California dated 28 August 1958 from a QSO with a Henry G. Walsh W6IYC (ex-W9LKG) from 1208 1/2 Third Avenue.... before zip codes. Being that Joe grew up in NYC, I doubt there is any connection, but I thought I'd ask!

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm quite sure no connection, as Joe was from NYC and said he became a ham when he noted a neighbor's antenna and asked about it.

His "shack" home is about ten miles from me, down in Studio City although I don't believe he's actually lived there in a long time (real residence in San Diego). But the tower's still up and stuff; I guess he uses the "shack" when he's in town and feels like using it. BIG signal on 75m AM when he has checked into the nets.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Wikipedia Joe was born in Wichita, KS moved to Columbus, OH...then NYC and finally Montclair, NJ for his HS years. His father passed in a plane crash and Joe was adopted by his Step Father. He used his Father's name as a middle name and his Stepfather's name as his last name...Thus Joseph Fidler Walsh....and the rest is history. We couldn't have a guitarist named Fidler could we? Anybody got any chewing gum?
    There was a great Youtube video of Les Paul and Joe Walsh playing guitar. Probably still out there.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Correct. The house on Blairwood in Studio City is pretty much "ham shack", "home studio", and "crash pad". Real home is in San Diego

Dave
    W7UUU

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of Joe, I'm sure many of you have noticed he's an analog man by Dave's pictures (analog ham).

:)

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"I know you don't know the words but I don't either" :D:D

Lots of great "Joe-isms" in that song!!

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W likes this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Growing up in that era, I'm an "analog man" at heart. But, this 52-year old HAS to engineer and manage BOTH analog and digital telecommunications systems in today's world.
    Thankfully, I understand both. It's saved my bacon more than once... being a man living and working through both eras.
    Especially as I get older...!

10. K3GW

K3GW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks so much.... This is a fun hobby! I met Joe at Dayton many years ago. I also saw the Eagles in Pittsburgh a few years ago... was a great show. They're coming back.... Any way to ask him for some free passes? hahahaha

11. W7UUU

It's the living room of his Studio City "home" in the LA area. He only lives there when working in LA. But the living room is home to his impressive Collins AM rig - go back to post #14 and look carefully for the telltale 5 panel meters in the top left that are part of the transmitter. He has an extensive HiFi audio chain beginning with a Neumann U87 microphone.

Dave
    W7UUU