ad: MLSons-1

Guitarist of famous band "EAGLE" as a collegue amateur radio !!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jun 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

N4GNO/SK2022 and W5TTW like this.
  2. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Molte grazie amico mio.

IW2BSF likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool.

The band is the Eagles here in the US.

NL7W and IW2BSF like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed!

I got to meet him at his house and took his picture for CQ magazine! I also got to interview him for 2 hours for the article.

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N8QQE, NL7W, WZ7U and 4 others like this.
  5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I thot everybody already knew this. Even I got to "talk" to Joe Walsh--via email. I found out he was big on Collins equipment. A good friend of mine, K4EDK had a Collins KW-1. Beautiful piece of equipment. Jim let me run CW on his KW-1. I learned WB6ACU's email and emailed him, telling him about EDK's Collins. Mr. Walsh answered me, and we had several "email QSO's" about it. That was a few years ago. He said at the time, "Mention Collins, and it gets my attention"!;)

KB2SMS, KA9JLM and IW2BSF like this.
  6. IW2BSF

wow... great thanks to all ! 73 de Rudy

Sorry for my error in the title and in my message ... the band is " EAGLES" , hi :)

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

How long has Joe been licensed? From his call sign I suspect it has been from the 70's.
    His affinity for vintage vacuum tube gear applies to guitar amps as well as radios.

I've always enjoyed the interviews I've seen with Joe.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As I recall he was first licensed in New York in 1959

Dave
    W7UUU

9. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

lol, The Eagle.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

That would mean he got his ticket at about 12 or 13 years old. Kool!
    From wikipedia:
    "While living in New York City, Walsh began a lifelong interest in amateur radio. Walsh holds an Amateur Extra Class Amateur RadioLicense, and his station callsign is WB6ACU.[72] In 2006 he donated an autographed guitar to the ARRL in Newington, Connecticut, for its charity auction. He has also been involved with the group's "Big Project," which brings amateur radio into schools. Walsh has included Morse Code messages in his albums on two occasions: once on the album Barnstorm ("Register and Vote"), and later on Songs for a Dying Planet ("Register and Vote for Me").[73] Walsh provides the theme song (which includes Morse code) for the TWiT podcast Ham Nation (debuting in 2011), and he appeared as a guest in the first podcast.[74]"

11. W7UUU

Here's a few more pix from the CQ Magazine shoot. The last one is kinda fuzzy (wife took the shot) - back when I had hair :)

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KE0EYJ, KA2CZU, KB2SMS and 5 others like this.
  12. IW2BSF

great thanks Dave !

13. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wonder how often he gets 'on the air'? I've never heard him on... Unless he was under such a pile up that I couldn't hear him.

Dan KI4AX

14. W7UUU

He's still pretty big in the Southern California AM world on 3880 etc.

Photo below was the one I wanted to have be the cover shot - I took a lot of time setting things up for this shot, with the cover in mind.

But if you look closely, you'll see the iconic meters of his Collins 20V2 AM Broadcast transmitter at the top left of the frame. The mic Joe is in front of is his vintage Neuman U87 ($4,000 mic) that feeds into a rather elaborate audio chain to feed into the transmitter that he runs on 3880 and other AM "watering hole" frequencies from his Studio City shack.

Alas, CQ did not pick this photo for the cover.

[In all cases, the photos have very clean & delicate detail even into the shadows - these are scans and some detail was lost. Film was Fujichrome E6 Velvia-50, 120 medium format on Hasselblad 500CM camera]

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

For those with access, the February 1983 issue of QST has a profile of Joe on page 76. I think that was the first time I read of anyone famous who was licensed. I was still unlicensed at the time I read it. Afterward my ears would perk up when I heard one of Joe's songs on the radio.

@W7UUU
    I always liked that cover shot of Joe on CQ. Nice to see some of the other pictures you took. I should probably dig into that pile and find that issue and read it again.

Life's been good to him so far...

W7UUU likes this.