Guessing Is Killing Me!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4LCV, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4LCV

N4LCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I do pretty well if I'm working on 5 character code groups. But if I'm copying plain text, I hear a couple of letters and then guess at what the word is going to be. If I guess right, I'm OK. But if I guess wrong, and try to figure out where I went wrong, I miss the next two or three words, and finally, I have to sort of "start over" as if it was the beginning of a new sentence. What can I do to get my mind to stop trying to guess at what the word is going to be?

N4LCV

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is precisely why the Commercial radiotelegraph licenses had a random group test as well as plain text.

Here's my advice, a defense against which I'm wearing my chain mail jockstrap:

Do ONLY code groups until your speed is up where you want it! This will force you to be able to copy code accurately. It's a pain in the posterior NOW, but when you start doing CW for real, you'll be so glad you did!

Back when they changed the CW requirements from 1 minute of perfect copy to simply answering 10 questions about the text, I had a better idea: Send 5 minutes of random groups and THEN ask ten questions about the text. :D

Eric

3. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The simple answer is don't guess, nobody told you that ! Write down what you recognise, and if you don't recognise it just leave it and continue. Once you break the momentum trying to remember it you've lost the remainder of the message and you won't get it back. Knowing the ones you don't know, you keep practicing them until you do know them !

G0GQK

5. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

Something to agree with :)

Once that stage is reached, guessing is the right way to copy very high speed plain text.

It's like reading a printed text. While you read these lines, you do not consciously read every single letter. You are reading whole words at once. Sometimes you think you've read a certain word, but once you reach the end of the sentence, you reckon it doesn't make any sense. It's because you made a (more or less) educated guess on a word, which you read as a unit, but misidentified as some other, probably more common word. In most cases, you'll still be able to make sense of the sentence after all, when you realize your mistake; mostly even without going back (with your eyes) in the sentence to reread said word. You'll subconsciously guess it.

It's the same with Morse code, but of course it requires a basic level of proficiency, which releaves you of any conscious effort in copying the letters itself.

Fabian DJ1YFK

6. AL7N

AL7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Copying Morse

What is wrong is that you are still copying "by the character".

You have to get in the habit of LISTENING to the "whole word" before you write it down.....You have to be hearing what the other operator is "saying" like he was speaking to you....then just write that down.

Also, write your copy in cursive, quit trying to print it...Printing will be far too slow when you gain skill at higher speeds.

Practice, practice, practic, practice will help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.