"Guaranteed to work - no returns"

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more on both counts. K7MH's approach is the best. Don't deal with someone that ignorant. I applaud W7UUU's efforts to "clean things up" but fear he is tilting at windmills.

2. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

that does not mean it is a battle not worth fighting

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not always Jonny. Usually it's worth doing battle only if you know you can win.

4. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'll remember that, you probably more experience than me.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote for disallowing the phrase or at least throwing a caution on the ad.

6. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Outlawing words and phrases is popular in Canada.

While waiting to catch a tuna fish can plane in Quebec to take me to Anti Costi Island, I noticed a sign in the airport stating the word "hijack" is illegal to say. I wondered how I was going to greet my friend Jack when he arrived.

I am not sure outlawing words/phrases will provide protection for anyone on QRZ either. I believe it will just burden the volunteer moderarors unnecessarily.

"Buyer beware" seems a good ideolgy to protect buyers to me.

7. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

The phrase makes no sense, but I think the parts swapper is why the statement is made.

Mark N5RFX

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Consumers are not too smart and want to believe anything.

9. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought several big amps off ebay a few years back. 3-500z based tube amps. Both sellers showed output power through a wattmeter into a dummy load. Good enough for me to go ahead and order.

Received them, and they worked. One had a couple minor issues (I was NOT expecting perfection), and I got each one for a good price, so I was happy.

The MAIN thing was, I had "proof" that the meat, the heart, the important 'guts' (tubes, power supply) of these amps were in place and worked to a very large degree.

What's germane to this discussion is, I had (what was acceptable to me) 'proof' that the amps worked. Now, had either one been missing one 3-500z tube OR the power transformer when I received them I would have filed a complaint with the seller, OBVIOUSLY, because the product, the amplifier, was demo'd to be complete and working.

I didn't have so much of a guarantee from the seller that the amps worked, but proof (again, acceptable proof for me at the time) that the amps worked as evidenced by static pictures showing operation of the amps into dummy loads. A video clip (like some sellers have done) might even be better; harder to 'cheat' with a full, "motion picture" video than still (maybe staged?) pictures.

K1ZJH likes this.
  10. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd word it differently, when I am selling a piece of vintage gear. "Working on bench, but no guarantee due to age." When buying older gear I expect it will have problems sooner or later. Those sellers are trying to say the gear is working at time at sale, but no guarantee afterwards. Regardless, I have seen videos of "working" radios being sold on the Zed and ePay that I know the history of. I wouldn't touch them, guaranteed or not.