ad: ProAudio-1

"Guaranteed to work - no returns"

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What does that even mean?

I see this more and more in ads - "Guaranteed to work - no returns"

So what then happens and it DOESN'T work - how does that "guarantee" come into play?

What would stop a less-than-moral person from selling a radio device, that doesn't work (and they know it), listed as "guaranteed to work - no returns" - what does that then mean in practical terms for the unfortunate buyer?

Odd turn of phrase IMO, and prone to easy abuse with no recourse for the buyer.

I don't think it should be allowed in listings. Either an item is "guaranteed to work" and can be returned for a refund, or there are "no returns" - you can't have it both ways

Just my 2 cents...

Dave
    W7UUU

KU3X, NE1U, K9ASE and 4 others like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK DAVE,
    I AM NOT GOING OVER
    THE TOP ON THIS ONE.
    I AM SITTING HERE
    DOING LOL LOL LOL
    READING THIS POST.
    happy holidays1 to dave.jpg
    THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD LAUGH.
    73 - K1LKP

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As the late Wayne Green, W2NSD/1 posted at the top of classified ads in 73 Magazine...
    Caveat emptor
    "Caveat emptor /ˌkævɛɑːt ˈɛmptɔːr/ is Latin for "Let the buyer beware" (from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavere, "to beware" + emptor, "buyer"). Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods."

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without putting on my lawyer hat, if the guy says it works then that's what you bought. Just because he says it works in the ad and sends you a box of rocks that he won't accept on return isn't legal. Laws of Merchantibility and all that.
    Some sellers learn this the hard way if the buyer wants to pursue action.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My point being: that term should just be retired: "Guaranteed but no returns" = NO WARRANTY, PERIOD. May not even work for all I know"

Just sayin'

Yes I know it's obvious. I get it. :)

But folks keep using the phrase.

Dave
    W7UUU

NE1U likes this.
  6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what I think it means, coming from someone who does not practice law. The seller, usually without having a clue as to what he is actually guaranteeing, is providing a limited unconditional guarantee that the item 'functions as intend'. If it doesn't meet that performance standard, he is required to throw as much money as it takes to bring it to that state, usually limited only by the amount paid. He is also giving up a right he would normally have to say to you, " Just send it back and I'll refund your money." You can try to hold his feet to the fire in an attempt to make him perform. Unfortunately, the agreement may be voidable because there was not 'a meeting of the minds' because the seller truly did not understand what he was saying. In that case, the item would be returnable. From a practical standpoint, attorney's fees and court costs will exceed the value of the item and a seller who makes such a statement is probably uncollectible anyway. What do do? Either avoid sellers who make such statements or, if you really want to buy his item, explain to him what you think the guarantee means and ask him if he wants to proceed.

7. W7UUU

Or just drop the meaningless toothless term "guaranteed but no returns" as not allowed...

=SOLVED :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NE1U and N3AB like this.
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some ham radio operators make used car salesmen look good. :eek:

KP4SX, W7UUU, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen that in an ad recently.
    I wouldn't deal on any level with anyone as stupid as that.

NE1U and AJ4GQ like this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So much angst, so little time.

If the wording of an advertisement is suspect, or you just don't like it, you have an option: don't buy or continue reading, move on. Life's too short for that kind of aggravation.

Or is that too simple?

Dave, I know that you have kind of been on a mission to clear up unclear language or overused phrases. Good deal, but you'll never win the battle.

W5PFG likes this.