ad: Flexradio-1

Guam hit by Super Typhoon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF6ILA, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KF6ILA

KF6ILA Ham Member QRZ Page

The terrertory of Guam was hit by a "Super Typhoon" on Sunday afternoon, with winds recorded at 160 MHP substained and 190+ Gusts.  Along with the total loss of Electricity and Water island wide, the port of Guam is the scene of a major fire of the reserve tanks of fuel.  The fire started during the storm and is still burning.  The island is now out of Gasoline and sale of the remaining fuel is restricted to emergency vehicles only.  Several Amateur Radio Operators have lost their Antenna systems, including the only repeater on island, which lost it's antenna when struck by a falling cellular phone antenna.  All the Amateur operators on island are safe.  (Note: I am sending this using my generator which is down to 5 gal. of Gas)
    73 Duncan KF6ILA/KH2

2. K8ARL

K8ARL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope you folks get relief fast and that you can at least get your basic needs cared for. I wish I could do more from here. If there is anything you need, just ask and I will see what I can do.

Our area, Seneca County Ohio got hit with the tornados this past November 10. I can certainly sympathize with the havok caused by destructive forces but widespread destruction is still unfathomable.

Karl, K8ARL

3. KC6UFE

KC6UFE Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequencies, hf or vhf have been established for emergency communication, health and welfare etc for
    help to the people of Guam through the hams of Guam?

4. N3MVF

N3MVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC6UFE,

I'm looking into it.  Placed a message to Honolulu Radio Club if they have an idea as they may copy Guam.  Keep you updated if I get any news or requests for traffic.

Greg

Updated 0405UTC 12-13-02.  Received word from Honolulu that no health or welfare has been requested from the island.  FEMA, federal aid etc is doing rapid response and lots of supplies has been received. Biggest problem seems to be getting the gasoline supply back to normal. Attached is link sent for latest Guam News. http://www.guampdn.com/news/index.html

5. KF6ILA

HF Freqs are 28.520, 21.375 and 14.310. We have low water presure now at my QTH, and the fire at the port is now out. It will be monday before we get fuel for our generators. All the radio stations were knocked off the air, including the repeater. Civil defence is re-looking at RACES. Will keep you informed as I can spare the Gas.
    Duncan

6. W5MMX

W5MMX Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived on GUAM for 8 years. It stands for Give Us American Money. Typhoons SURPRISE them at least once or twice every couple of years! Once again innocents will suffer because of the greed, corruption, and lack of preparation on the part of the local primates in their kangaroo government. They will probably blame the bad weather on the brown tree snake. [​IMG]

7. N6HPX

N6HPX Guest

[​IMG] Hello I am here on Guam now, on board USNS Concord an was quite surprised at the amount of damage to the place.
    I hope to check with a friend here, but have yet to hear from him,NH2PW.
    I will be listening off an on during the day to the local repeater<146.910> hope to hear from you all an I went through Pinatubo an know how you guys/gals feel.

73's from Larry, du1/n6hpx
    anchored at Tango pier..

8. KT3K

KT3K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was stationed in Guam in the Navy, and my grandparents lived there for 4 years.  It's a beautiful place.
    I'm currently living in Baja Mexico, where we face some similar 3rd world conditions.  I keep a 55 Gallon Drum of gas for the generator in the event of a disaster.  I wish you all the best, and soonest recovery of services!
    XE2/KD5UOR  

73's
    John

9. KF6ILA

Guam Update #3:
       We are slowly but surely digging out of this.  My portion of the island now has electricity (on the map I am located in the southern portion of the island, on the south side of the harbor.  On Wednesday of last week (11 December) our HF Station was shut down on the Naval Station because of the fuel situation.  I, by far was the best off of all the HAMs on the island, with no dammage to my radio gear or antenna system.  Due to band opening times (bands start to open at 8:00 local and close again at 12:00 local to the states) I have not been able to keep any schedule because of the restoration work.  I am now back to work.
    Fuel supply returned to normal yesterday (17 December, after about a day and a half of fuel rationing to the general public.  At My QTH I now have full power and water, but this is not the case to the public of base.  Both the Red Cross and Salvation Army are doing great work, but the Salvation Army is out of money (but still going) I am sure that they would appreciate any donations since they are feeding the workers at both the EOC and in the shelters.  The Red Cross has started to issue money to the hardest hit, and the comments I have been hearing have been positive.  A Field hospital from San Diego has been set up outside of Guam Memorial Hospital to relieve the strain on both our hospitals which were damaged in the typhoon.
    The telephone system is still not working for some long distance carriers.  I use Sprint, which is one that is still down (for my friends and family which are wondering why I have not called..  that is the reason) also the 1-800 numbers are still down for off island except for the Red Cross number which has been hard programed into the switch.
    I plan to be on the air on 28.520 at 22:00 20 Dec, for any takers.  That is our Saturday morning here and the bands should be in at that time.
    Thank you for all your support
    73 Duncan
    P.S.  Please pass to the ARRL that I am posting updates here.  I read their article on not hearing from Guam.  They can use my posts if they want to reflect.

10. K8ARL

Hi Duncan,

I read the ARRL story yesterday and I too was surprised that the ARRL organization did not know what was happening.

When I read it I immediately sent an email to the Amateur Radio call (the SEC) in the article to advise him to check QRZ.COM and pointed him directly to our exchanges.

Hopefully he will come here and find out what is happening.

As of this posting I have not received a reply from him.

I have been listening for you but have not heard you.

Karl, K8ARL

11. K8ARL

Addendum: I made sure to give him your name and call.

12. w1nra

w1nra Ham Member QRZ Page

To everyone on Guam. I was in the US NAVY in the mid 60's and remember reading about one of our Nuclear Submarines pulling into one of the Pacific Islands and supplying primary power to one of the main substations (power) which provided power to the island until regular power was restored. Wonder if there's a possibility of this being done again.
    Also, If there is a ham club on the island, I would like to have the link to it.
    Otherwise, good luck to everyone and hope the repairs are made soon.
    Jerry Hemby / W1NRA---------USS America, oe div 65-68, ETR-3

13. K1GZA

K1GZA Ham Member QRZ Page

HAFA ADAI,
    Greetings from another HAM in Guam. I was with Duncan when he was trying to maintain comms with the mainland, he was the only one with HF that was portable I have not been in contact with other members of the MARC to see what efforts they were involved in. We now have power and water though we have to boil it or use bottled water. Thanks to Duncan KF6ILA the repeater is up and working. We are the lucky ones though there are many others on the island that are still trying to deal with the devistation of the storm. Many lost roofs, homes, cars and livelyhoods. The members of the American Red Cross are here to help with the recovery and they have brought hams with them. The north side of the island took the brunt of the storm and as you can expect that is where most of the activity is. The Guam National Guard is acting as traffic control and keep the peace. A good thing out of this mess is Santa has ok'd a nice HF rig for the station.

Thanks for all of your concern...

de

N7GZA/KH2

14. K8ARL

15. AA4HU

AA4HU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello:

I am richard Villarreal and I have a sister and her family on guam I have tried to send e-mail but I have not received an answer. If you could contact Ruth and Andrew Smith address unknown since they just moved there It would be appreciated. The e-mail is awsmith@guam.net.

Thank you
    aa4hu E-mail dickvill@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.