GRV5?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AD5XK, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The info from G0GQK, Melvin, is 100% the G5RV is only as good as your tuner:p

It was never designed with todays' modern rigs in mind however it functions perfectly adequately with rigs that have the usual built-in tuners.
    For instance .... my Icom 703 trips along really well with it and I have it horizontal about 10m asl (my house is about 50m from the sea!)

At an average price of $60 ... you get what you pay for guys!:rock: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have the room, and it sounds like you do, I'd avoid the G5RV all together and go with a multiband loop or full size dipoles. The G5RV is designed to be a small-lot compromise...there are better choices out there for people with room to play.

3. KZ9G

KZ9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a carolina windom. I had one up when I had my g5rv up and it blew the g5 out of the water. Radioworks has a awesome set of windoms you may want to give them a look. Ps. I have no affilation with radioworks just a very very happy customer.

4. WA6DXI

WA6DXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally bigger and higher are better.

I live in a 40' motorhome and use the G5RV jr (51') with the feed point @ 30' feet and the ends @ about 12' and except for 12 & 30 meters my TS570 DG tunes it fine and for some reason I don't need the tuner on 10 meters and it also works on 2 meters.

I also have a home brew Vertical that goes from 10 - 20 Meters and sometime the G5RV will work better depending on band conditions.

The G5RV works great for me, but as you see my situation is opposite of yours.

73s and good luck

Don WA6DXI d.dresser@att.net

5. VK2VEL

VK2VEL Ham Member QRZ Page

G5RV works well for those of us in suburbia. I run a 1/2 size version which is 15.5 metres long and east coast VK to UK and Norway is no problem even at this point in the solar cycle, 100W.

I love the term 'compromise aerial' - most aerials are compromises - money, height etc etc . [​IMG] I suppose it refers to the fact that the G5RV is a non-resonant multiband array. It works well for me as my only HF aerial, for the space that I have, as a multiband system. I have heard many good reports about the Carolina windom also.

I made my own aerial and I'm happy with it, although if I had the space, I would have dipoles up.

6. M0HFF

M0HFF Ham Member QRZ Page

The G5RV is a basic wire antenna, and as such gives its best performance with a balun between the coax feeder and the ribbon. It also needs an ATU at the shack end of the coax.
    Mine is a bent up inverted vee, the apex is about six feet above the chimney stack, on a wooden pole,which puts it about 30' agl, with the ends on bamboo poles at about 10' agl, then bent back at 90' due to lack of space. It seems to work well like this, although I haven't tried any big beams for a comparison,but as I only have a modest hf rx anyway -.
    It is important to remember that the ribbon feed forms part of the antenna at some frequencies, so needs to be out in the open, and hanging straight down, or it will not work.
    Also, in common with any ribbon feed, if it runs near to a structure, including a metal, or wet wood, mast, it deforms the magnetic field that forms around the ribbon, and funny things happen!

7. KE7CPB

KE7CPB Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother and I have the G5RV, we like it. Our radio does do 160m, but we didn't think that the antena tuner would be able to tune the G5RV on 160m. It is the only antena and it works great![​IMG]

8. MI0JVI

MI0JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with the G5RV is that it is good for Receive, but not very good for Transmit, unless you have plenty of room and are prepared to take RF into the shack in the form of 300Ohm Ribbon feeder.

It was designed back in the days when SWR or  wasnt really given much thought.  I have a modified one which works reasonably well and is fed with RG58U- I took the 300Ohm feeder from it and put it on a shelf where it has stayed since.  A good tuner of course is necessary! I didnt like the thought of bringind the 300 Ohm feeder into the shack becasue we already have a problem with stray RF which is really puzzling and we didnt need any more being brought in.

That's just my view and my experience of them. everybody's situation is different and as a result experiences with them are different.

9. VO1JA

VO1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

After hurricaine Gabriel wrecked my Butternut "butterfly" beam, I put up a G5RV. The center is at 10 metres, and the ends at 5m. It is fed with 300 ohm ladderline to a 1:1 balun, and from there either through an mfj 949 tuner or, more recently, via an LDG at200pro. It does not require a tuner on 20 metres. It performs well. Not as good as the beam, of course, but it can take the gales that are fairly common here on the South coast of Newfoundland. If wx is an issue, I recommend a G5RV. If you have the room, an end fed Zepp is better, but not all of us have that kind of space available. Finally, remember that whatever you put up in the air, there ought to be some sort of ground/ counterpoise system.
    73, de vo1ja, ex-vo2hp

10. G3VZM

G3VZM Ham Member QRZ Page

The true G5RV is used with a hybrid of 300 Ohm and co-ax feed and can be hit & miss.

Using the 102ft top with a balanced feeder (450 Ohm commercial line works ok) gives lower noise pick up.
    As said by others - it won't work without an atu, preferably a balanced atu rather than unbalanced with a balun ( lossy things at best ) and can give dx contacts all over.

Fed this way it's just another doublet so try any convenient length of centre fed top and see what happens. Check "doublets" in the handbooks.

If balanced line is a problem to get into the shack try feeding with 2 parallel coax cables. Centre conductors used as feeder and outers strapped together at base only and earthed. (Old tip from G-QRP Club) Relatively expensive but it works and overcomes problems of getting balanced line through walls etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.