GRV5?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AD5XK, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AD5XK

AD5XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I may not have the exact name correct, but I am sure someone will know. Anyway, how good of antenna is this, I have one, but until now have not had the proper room to dispay it. I live on 3.5 acres now, with some trees, most close to the ham shack ...of course....and was wondering if anyone with some experience with this antenna might tell me...how they have it up, how it works and so forth.....dont really want to go back to the big ole bulky beams ...(for HF by the way), I had one one time was a huge tribander with 40 meter kit added, too big...
    anyway i think they say you can invert vee this thing or straight out as a t shape, what would be good height, so forth and so on.....i don't talk this much on the radio......thanks for input guys.....
    Ted [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It's G5RV.

Use the forum search feature or google. You'll find plenty of information, both factual and otherwise.

3. N4RAZ

N4RAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a G5RV and like you have limited room but I have found the antenna to be very hight with SWR well over 5.0 on most Freq. I would not get this antenna again knowing that.

4. WA4ABM

WA4ABM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a G5RV. Mine is 102 feel long fed with 30 feet of twin lead. I have it in an inverted Vee position at about 120 degrees. It is up 30 feet fastened to a tree limb. Each end is 15 feet off the ground. The twin lead falls down away from the antenna to the ground where I have 75 feet of RG8 coax connected to it through a 4:1 balun. The coax runs to the shack underground in PVC pipe. I can work 10 - 80 meters using a Dentron tuner. You have to have a tuner with this antenna, but I find that it works well. I usually run 100 watts although I can put 300 out. I think the G5RV is good for 1 KW. For a compromise antenna, I think it's great....not like the beams I used to have, but still good. Of course, higher the better. Get a tuner and it should work well. [​IMG]

5. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Mine is suspended 40' high between two pecan trees. With a Heathkit 2060 tuner I can load it up 80M through 6M and I've got a log full of contacts.

Heck ya there's better antennas out there. But for my situation, it gets me on all HF bands but 160 and I enjoy its flexibility. Someday I'll be able to save up for a tower, but for now it allows me to have an awful lot of fun.

You must have a good tuner to make it work on all bands but 20M. Without a tuner, the G5RV doesn't work worth a bleep.

WA5KRP
    Texas

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The G5RV was designed as an antenna for radio amateurs with valve rigs not state of the art 2006 rigs. It should be used with an ATU and should not be fed with co-axial cable. It is what is termed as a compromise antenna, but with an ATU a properly made G5RV will enable you to use most amateur bands, but it is extremely difficult to load it on 15 metres. a much better wire antenna is a double zepp which also needs an ATU.

G0GQK

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Google a Carolina Windom. You will probably have much better results.

My G5RV is dead. Still up though. But worthless, absolutely dead. But I did once make a contact on 160 with it. That is what probably killed it though.

8. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since  you have 3 & 1/2 acres to work with, consider putting up a horizontal loop. With a tuner you will be able to work all the HF bands. You have enough room to put up a 160 meter loop. It is inexpensive, easy, and incredibly effective. For a description and building directions check my website.

http://k5rcd.airweb.net/

9. AD5XK

AD5XK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Randy I will do that...

Ted
    KB5HQB

10. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck with your project Ted. Drop me an e-mail if I can be of any help, and let me know how it works out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.