Grrrr. June VHF Contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4POT, Jul 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I'm a serious contester at all, in fact this was my first contest log submission, but I screwed up submitting my logs and it'll cost me a top 10 spot in the Single Op FM category. I submitted a log with 189 points, but must have mistakenly submitted it as Single-Op Portable instead of FM. The 10th place finisher per the current raw scores is 162 points.

I came in 27th in the SOP class. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll need to be more careful with my submission next time. It was fun, we had a good time hiking to our spot, camping overnight, and activated 2 summits for SOTA while we were at it, so not all is lost.

Chris

US7IGN and K0UO like this.
  2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't work contests but with my 9700, I expected to make some new distant contacts on 2 and 440, NADA.

Even though I am on a 1200 foot mountain, and have a 2 meter and 432 beams, contacts were rarely there and when the contest was over, they all go back to bed, not to be heard till the next VHF contest.

3. KM8V

KM8V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Next VHF contest is in a couple weeks..

W9JEF likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W9JEF likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hey at least you were able to submit a score! several times for VHF events I have not been successful sending in a score. It's me, not the Cabrillo format, not the good ARRL log checker. oh well, only missing a half dozen QSOs.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never used a "logging program" for a VHF contest. That would be easier, as they can export a Cabrillo log; I keep a paper log because I like that and when operating as a "rover" with minimal space for hardware, the space that could be occupied by a laptop computer is considered (by me) to be more valuable when occupied by other things.

So, after a contest I type my entire log, line by line, into Excel, which makes it easy to check for dupes, then convert that to Wordpad using a Cabrillo format and the League (and everyone else) accepts that just fine. 500 contacts only take 1-1/2 hours or so to type, and I can spare that time; plus it's sorta fun recollecting almost every contact in the process.

For me, the only tricky thing no matter how you log is remembering to enter "band changes." It's easy to "oops" and forget that step, and that can result in a really screwed up log. Since "most" of the higher-band UHF or SHF contacts aren't random, but "talked up" from lower frequency bands, it's common to have the same callsign logged 4-5-6-7-8 times in a row, with the same exchange but all different bands.

7. KI4POT

Thanks! I'll be starting my vacation at that time, but maybe I can grab a few contacts while at OBX. :)

Chris

8. KI4POT

We were on top of a mountain off of Skyline Drive. The FM calling frequencies for 2m/1.25m/70cm were busy all day Saturday. 6m FM was dead. I tried but made no contacts on that band. SSB and CW were busy as well, which is where my buddy made his contacts (using an 818). Things were dead the next day, but we managed a few. One was well over 100 miles away via 2m FM.

I should have packed my yagi, but space was already at a premium and we were cutting it close on water (I ran out about 200yds from the truck on the way back).

Chris

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, yeah, me too, exactly. I really prefer paper logs! but I can do Cabrillo or ADIF or whatever; really dislike trying to do data entry during the QSO. OK you're 59 Mr VE7 what agn agn!?

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The same sort of thing happened to my multi-op team in 1991. We went to an awesome site in CM96 called Chews Ridge. Chews Ridge is in the Pacific Division, but my friend who submitted the logs lives in the Southwestern Division. We would have won the Pacific Division, but ended up being placed in the Southwestern Division a zillion points behind N6CA. Doh!