ad: ProAudio-1

Groundless dual band antenna to mount on mobility scooter?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K9RDU, Jul 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand what you want but the issue is not enough height using a hand held on either band and location varies.
    I doubt another antenna will solve your problem at the same height.
    Locations inside buildings will still present a problem.
    About the only improvement I could think of is building a custom antenna with short radials and a longer whip in order to get a match to the radio or a short dual band mobile that still needs a ground plane to complete it, electrically.
    There is no magic in antennas as they all have to comply with the same requirements, in some way.

2. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

No magic, but a better antenna is a better antenna. When I first got this HT, I hooked it up to a mag mount on a grill. Signal reports went from "wait, I think someone may have tried to get in here" to "S7 and 80% quieting". I would expect mag-grill performance is possible here.

3. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the Diamond RH205. It is a telescoping whip that can be extended to 5/8 wavelengths on 2 meters (~48 inches). You can find them on Amazon and eBay. When attached to your HT, your hand and body are the counterpoise. Just don't try using that eye poker while in motion.

4. K9RDU

Thanks
    I was looking at the adhesive backed NR770HRKS mobile antenna today. That's a definite possibility due to the lack of need for a ground plane.

5. K9RDU

You guys have gave me a lot of great ideas.

I'm going to try the flag antenna first just because it will be a fun project with my son. If that doesn't work out, what I've got in mind is some sort of flat bracket that goes across both frame rails with clamps (so as to reinforce the frame instead of weaken it.
    The end would stick out the side a few inches and have a hinge with about a 4 ft tube/mast, and then another hinge at the top with a folding mobile antenna. I'll use a remote head/faceplate mobile radio to keep most everything out of sight, out of the way, and dry.

This setup would make the frame stronger, be basically unnoticeable and out of the way when not in use while only adding 2" or less to the width of the scooter (probable 0" when considering mirror width). It will provide a ground plane and put the base of the antenna above head level to limit RF exposure, allowing me to run a 50w mobile and be sturdy enough to run an HF rig if I want to get crazy with things in the future. I'm still throwing around ideas (including a sort of roll cage hoop, but probably don't want to go to that extreme) and have no idea what I'm going to use for hinges, but for something long-term functional and durable, this is probably going to be the way to go.
    Lots of brainstorming going on with this and a dozen other projects so I can get them done before this disease progresses much more.
    Thank you everyone.

6. KB9AMM

KB9AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Under the seat is a square tube that is designed for adding a rear basket. By inserting a square 1" tube into this receptical, you could then drill, cut and place a mount for whatever antenna you might want. I reccomend a 1/2 wave antenna, that requires no ground plane.

7. K9RDU

That was my very first thought. Can't do it because of the way the rear luggage opens. It's split vertically (and a real pita).

Attached Files:

8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't mind a handheld whip, I've used this antenna to great effect on SOTA activations:
    TWAYRDIO RH770 2meter 70cm UHF/VHF
    The link is to the BNC version, but they make SMA and SMA-F versions as well.

K0NR has a couple write-ups about it:
    A Better Antenna for Dualband Handhelds - The KØNR Radio Site (k0nr.com)
    VHF/UHF Omni Antenna for SOTA Use - The KØNR Radio Site (k0nr.com)

I've made some pretty long distance contacts with mine. It is noticeably better than the factory antenna and collapses down to about the same length as most factory 2m/70cm rubber ducks.

Chris