ad: Momobeam-1

Grounding radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K5BOU, Apr 1, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5BOU

K5BOU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    I need to ground only my YAESU transceiver. What kind of wire did I need to use to connect to my grounding rode? Thanks.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you need to ground your outdoor antenna system. If that is grounded, then that takes care of the transceiver.
    #6awg

W6KCS likes this.
  4. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One is copper AFW (April Fools wire company) wire @ least the same gauge wire as it's steel cabinet lid.

RRK

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Any grounding is better than none.

That said, what is the length of your ground rod?
    How many are you installing.
    What is your antenna system?

Station design and layout will oft times dictate proper grounding and lightning mitigation.

When all else fails, unplug everything if lightning is nearby

6. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Philippe (K5BOU):

Unfortunately, you've touched on a "hot button" topic on this forum which will no doubt turn into a melee of answers and disputes. Doing grounding well is complex and has a few different goals (AC safety, lightning protection, conducted EMI suppression...) that can all be addressed to some degree. But not with one simple wire connection from the rig to a ground rod.

My best advice is as follows:

1. Make sure any power supply to your radio or any accessories used with it that plug into AC power have their 3rd prong safety ground terminals intact and are plugged into a modern grounded outlet. Resist the impulse or any advice to defeat this critical safety ground.

2. Order, read and re-read the ARRL Guide to Grounding and Bonding. It is the definitive reference for amateur radio and has been written to a level appropriate to this community. It's available HERE:

https://www.arrl.org/shop/Grounding-and-Bonding-for-the-Radio-Amateur

Also available on Amazon.com $22.95 paperback or $9.95 Kindle. Very worthwhile.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    W6KCS and N0TZU like this.