Grounding of deep cycle backup battery

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7DVS, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7DVS

K7DVS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a deep cycle battery in my shack that I float charge with a astron power supply. All my 12 volt radios in my shack are connected to that battery so that they will still work when the power goes out. I have a ground going into my shack to ground my HF radio and amplifier. My question is should I connect my ground to the negative side of my deep cycle also? (My Hf radio and amp do not connect to the battery as they are AC powered.)

2. WA9PND

WA9PND Ham Member QRZ Page

So you currently have no ground on your 12 volt radios? I would add the ground.

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't, I can't think of any reason to, plus if the radio negative inputs are connected to their chassis, then the return current back to the battery will be shared between the negative lead and the ground wire.

NG0L and N8VIL like this.
  4. WA9PND

Sounded to me like his 12 volt radios were 'floating' - not grounded anywhere. If the radio chassis are grounded, then I agree; no reason to ground the battery negative.

5. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem I have with grounding the negative of the battery is that if the radio chassis is internally connected to the negative input, and the radio chassis has some other path to ground like at the coax entry, then there are two paths from the battery negative to the radio. One is the negative lead, the other is through the bonding jumper to some ground point, then either straight to the radio chassis (if it's bonded to ground) or to the coax entry ground and back through the coax shield to the radio.

N8VIL and K8XG like this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't ground your battery.

KB2SMS and KP4SX like this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grounding the battery could create problems, and would not be of any benefit.

When you say "deep cycle battery in the shack," what type of battery chemistry is it? I only ask because "deep cycle" normally refers to flooded batteries, and I would not want a flooded battery with me in a closed space.

8. WA9PND

K7DVS - Are there any other grounds on the "12 volt" radios? Are the antennas grounded or the coax grounded where it enters the shack? Or are these rdios 'floating'?

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No extra ground required. Isolation can be your friend.

I would be more worried if my battery could smoke :oops: my power supply during a power fail, If it is not designed to charge batteries.

W6KCS and K8XG like this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KX8C likes this.