Grounding Do's Don'ts & Why Part 3

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Mar 19, 2012.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

Moving between locations actually resolve the issue for some people, sometimes multiple moves are required.
    I'm playing competitively, which is why I have plenty of mice, and which is why I'm more annoyed by this than others.
    It would be quite dumb to joke around about this, it's not something that would trigger people online and I'm not planning to waste your time here longer.

the grounding box mentioned above does look like a placebo, but I will have a look, since we already tried power conditioners, double conversion UPS and other stuff.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Placebo, snake oil, whatever you want to call it. Don't waste your time.

W9JEF and KD2ACO like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you’re not joking, then tell us more details about the situation.
    What is common to all these problem instances?
    Does the problem occur only or mostly in houses with old two wire ungrounded systems?
    Are there common environmental conditions?
    What about common software?
    Common log in to a central website?
    Have viruses and other malware been ruled out?

4. KF5CCN

KF5CCN Ham Member QRZ Page

The PC power supply isolates from power line. Ethernet ground loop perhaps? I've seen it happen.

5. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

What is common to all these problem instances? Only the sub par electrical systems was pinpointed
    Does the problem occur only or mostly in houses with old two wire ungrounded systems? It's mostly occurring in apartments, where it is not possible to see what is beyond the counter and how grounding is managed at all, without the involvement of electrician and access to the building grid at least.
    Are there common environmental conditions? Not that I'm aware of (I live in Paris suburbs in a building constructed in 2006, for example)
    What about common software? No software required to start experiencing this
    Common log in to a central website? Not applicable
    Have viruses and other malware been ruled out? Yes, clean install of windows behaves the same, and during the installation process as well

6. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

This is an interesting point and it was mentioned by one of the electricians previously. There was a guy who tried to put fiber-ethernet converter between the router and PC to break the loop and reported improvement.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...untered-mouse-keyboard-input-lag-related.html
    here is the original thread with more details and with ground loop reference and the quote from an electrician in the first post (55 pages long)

here is the 2nd one, 43 pages long.
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...sing-input-de-synchronization-input-loss.html

7. N0TZU

How do you know the power systems are sub par if you haven’t confirmed the grounding? At the very least, please describe what type of power outlet the apartments typically have - two wire or three wire. For example, in your apartment in France, are the outlets type C for plugs with two pins only, or type E for plugs with two pins and a ground socket? Does the PC have a three wire plug? https://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeE.htm

Does the problem occur only when data is provided by Ethernet installed in the building? What about when data is provided by a cable TV system and modem? Does the problem also occur when using a wireless connection independent of the apartment building, such a mobile phone hotspot?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  8. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

It was a result of many studies and measurements of the readings on all the wires and equipment, if you would read the first post here you would get the idea of what was tested - https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...untered-mouse-keyboard-input-lag-related.html

In my apartment I have only type E sockets, but it doesn't mean that grounding wire is really grounded, some people have only 2 pin sockets (eastern europe, india).
    I have my PC and a monitor with a C12-C13 cables connected to a furman M10x power conditioner, which is connected to a type E socket
    network wise, I have FTTH>coaxial>ethernet>PC I would expect fiber to not transmit any interference from the outside, but when it connects to coaxial anything is possible (e.g. this box could be not grounded at all). I don't have a wireless adapter to try to remove the ethernet from equation, which might be an interesting idea.

Another nuance is that normally at night things are better than during a day, which is either due to power or RFI/EMI differences.

9. N0TZU

The post you referred to is about power quality, not grounding. It seems that low voltage, intermittents, and RF noise were being produced by failing connections in the electric meter socket on the neutral side. Ground was involved only because some of the current was taking a path back to the local distribution transformer through the safety ground system, but is not the root cause. Bad power connections can cause all sorts of havoc and strange symptoms in all sorts of equipment, as the post noted.

Your apartment has grounded outlets and was built this century in a major first world country, so it seems unlikely that building power quality would be a problem. Much more likely to me would be problems with the internet connection.

10. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried prayer and fasting?

WN1MB, SA6CKE and WR2E like this.