ad: Alphaant-1

Grounding Do's Don'ts & Why Part 3

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI5DH, Mar 19, 2012.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, “broken in” cat litter it is. Only a small sacrifice for such a wonderful ground.

W9JEF and WR2E like this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Around my house, the grounding box would have double duty in it in about 10 minutes.

W9JEF and WR2E like this.
  3. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

Mouse inconsistency is probably a result of computer misbehaving in general. we have dozens of people there with the same problem, many of us completely changed our PCs and peripherals with zero impact. I have around 15 mice currently, so it has nothing to do with equipment. It hurts my eyes to look into my screen (not the first screen, obviously).
    We believe it is a lack of grounding, rather grounding itself. If you plug your PC with a 3 wire plug and on other end this 3rd ground wire is not connected to anything, it's not really helping.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

So what are you saying, that ALL of your homes are improperly wired and the ground lug on the wall outlet isn't connected to anything?

Well that sucks... are you in a 3rd world country?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Has it occurred to anyone that the COMMON denominator may be the SOFTWARE that you are using?

N0TZU likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Changed PCs, changed peripherals, and 15 mice, all showing completely bizarre problems, at multiple locations. Yeah I’d say software is the prime suspect.

Either that or NumberFive is just pulling our legs, which is pretty likely. Who has 15 mice?

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't been in my crawl space! :eek:

N0TZU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's surprisingly much more common than you might guess!! Zillions of old US homes built long before grounded outlets were required still stand today and have not been updated. The house I grew up being one as well as the one my ex-wife grew up in. Neither house has ever been updated and to this day only has a 2-pin Edison socket and no "green ground wire" at all

Dave
    W7UUU

SA6CKE and NUMBERFIVE like this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's true... but if these guys are playing "World of Warcraft" on line and from diverse parts of the land, it's highly unlikely that they ALL have the same problem...

The home I'm in now was in that situation 35 years ago. It's completely rewired now of course.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

Countries differ from US/EU to really 3rd world ones. I hope you understand that this is not a problem that is haunting 90% of people, but a minority, so it is perfectly possible that those impacted have issues with the grounding (not being connect is just one of the use cases, among many). And living in US/EU is not guaranteeing that code is followed. People still have lead water pipes used for grounding in US, not uncommon.

you mean windows 7-8-10? it did, it was the first thing that was studied for many months.
    and to give you a better idea, people moved their PCs to other locations and it worked flawlessly immediately with no changes, apart from power.