ad: SalmonRn-1

Grounding Do's Don'ts & Why Part 3

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Mar 19, 2012.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Thanks .

2. KF5CCN

KF5CCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel your pain. Either go to a balanced antenna, dipole or loop or move your shack to the garage (not really a bad thing) end-fed antennas are not so good IMHO.

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. NUMBERFIVE

NUMBERFIVE QRZ Member

hello gents.
    I have question / issue that is very relevant to the grounding of my PC, but not relevant to ham family at all.

My 144hz monitor is looking like the refresh rate is below 60hz, both on the desktop and while gaming. And the mouse movements are inconsistent.
    We have a discord group of people with the same issue, we did a lot of testing with involvement of professional equipment and electricians.
    The root cause seems to be in the grounding, and we have a success story of a guy who installed a proper 9ft copper rod under his yard and the issue went away.
    But the problem is that those of us who live in the apartments, usually cannot mess with the grid beyond the the counter.

We are going into the area of "self contained power and signal reference system" used in the aircraft now.
    But since this is something that is plaguing the hams as well, I was hoping for an advanced advise here - is there any way to have a signal reference system built somehow at home, if proper grounding is not available?
    Open for any suggestions

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not buying it.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope this helps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoise_(ground_system)

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me either. No way grounding would cause those.

The only possible way an erratic mouse might be related to grounding is if static electricity were charging the mouse, but they are grounded through the computer three wire plug. If a wireless mouse, grounding wouldn’t help at all. A static reducing surface or spraying Static Guard or similar on the mousing surface would help.

But I’ve never heard of a mouse static problem. Almost certainly the erratic problem is lint or dust in the optical path of the mouse.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you could try one of these?

https://www.entreq.com/products/ground-boxes-17667704

Make sure to use the "Eartha Cables" that go with them.

https://www.entreq.com/products/eartha-cables-17667932

Maybe you could make one of your own? Get a plywood box, coil up some copper wire inside and fill it with dirt. You could probably even plant some herbs in it.

W6KCS and N0TZU like this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

W9JEF and WR2E like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fresh or “broken in” cat litter?

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

SA6CKE likes this.