ad: ProAudio-1

Ground the Boom?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N7AY, Feb 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was the change I made that grounded the yagi booms that were floating previously - I changed the crossboom from non-conductive to conductive (I'm having a hard time finding a non-conductive crossboom strong enough). The feedline and rotor control cables are properly grounded at the house. I'm not too concerned about lightening given there are at lease 6 trees and 2 buildings within 100' of the antennas that are much taller than the antenna structure. And yes, I'm aware of how much these obstacles hamper my view of the birds but the location is the only realistic place to put the antennas. I'm presently dreaming up a better way to re-isolate my booms. Thanks for the help all.

2. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, and thanks KH6AQ for mentioning duplexers, I discovered my mobile radio was full duplex so I now own two duplexers.

3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite the common thought and recommendations, I had a metal crossboom for my yagis since both were vertically oriented and they worked okay. I also had MFJ diplexers before the preamps and had very little third harmonic problems. Go for it...