GRMS CTCSS codes and a Kenwood TH-D47

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC1MCU, Jun 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC1MCU

KC1MCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all.

Probably a dumb FNG question, but I have some Cobra Microtalk that can be used with CTCSS codes. I can communicate with the Baofengs I have pretty easily, but not with the TH-D74. I guess I am not sure how to program the ctcss codes as transmit and receive or just transmit or receive on the Kenwood

Any help out there would be appreciated

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The TH-74 only covers ham bands on TX, it should not be able to TX on GMRS channels, but may RX OK there.

3. KC1MCU

Wow, not the answer I expected but I appreciate the answer none the less. Who would have thought a $25 Baofeng would out perform a $500 Kenwood.

Thanks again.

4. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's more that the Kenwood meets FCC regulations, the Baofeng not so much.

AG6QR likes this.
  5. KC1MCU

Ok, but if I have a ham and GRMS license, seems silly both cannot be used. I understand the issues of a baofeng and the superiority of the Kenwood in comparison, but is this really an issue with the FCC Regulations?

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you should read all of Part 95 and Subparts I and J of Part 2. If you did that you would know that only Part 95 certified equipment can be used on GMRS.

K3XR, AG6QR and WD9EWK like this.
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even with a GMRS license, you're responsible for following the rules governing GMRS, which include the rule that all transmitters used in GMRS must be certified for GMRS. The FCC will not certify a transmitter for use on GMRS if the transmitter is capable of use in the Amateur Radio Service:

95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.

(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.

(b) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.

(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in ยง95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

Neither your Kenwood nor your Baofeng is legal to operate in GMRS. The Kenwood at least attempts to protect you from breaking the law, and at least complies with the import regulations requiring that imported transmitters not be capable of transmitting on frequencies for which certification is required unless they're actually certified for those frequencies.

WD9EWK likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

READ THE RULES!!
    [​IMG]
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??