Gripe of the day.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1KWW, Apr 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

W1TRY likes this.
  2. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am totally OK with that. Keep the weirdos on the internet and off the air.

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

QRN around from storms, looks like 20M for me. 73 Rich

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So it wasn't the move from 200 meters to the "short waves"?

WU8Y likes this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does one need a video on how to make a loop antenna?

KI4AX

K3XR likes this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe to just get some other ideas of its configuration, supports or the like. I talk regularly to a gent down in FL.20m who modified his loop, works super. 73 Rich

7. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Video podcasts...maybe they'll bring back reading.

WU8Y and K3XR like this.
  8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Internet video are, for the most part, not anything close to what could be considered serious commercial enterprises. Those making the videos are doing so with little or no pay, and even some of the most famous YouTubers with millions of hits have absolutely no guarantee of income form their videos.

The basic notion is, they can talk about whatever they want to talk about. If this guy decided that what he wanted to do was offer some information about what he has done, he can do so as he sees fit--even if that means mentioning his dog.

For the sake of argument, lets say Icom pays someone to do a YouTube tutorial on a new product; and that person spends 50% of the video talking about his dog, or kids, or wife. I seems to me that Icom could have a legitimate complaint, but I do not see how I have any standing to complain.

YouTube is at its heart, egalitarian in its content. This means that any single person--young or old, intelligent or not--will probably find the vast majority of videos on YouTube completely worthless to him. YouTube can be a place to find information, but not necessarily so; and that is not even really the point of the site.

For something like specific measurements of a loop antenna, I would go looking for text not video. After I had those measurements, I might go to video to see how someone else implemented the antenna.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That too! Ever'body knows them shortwaves ain't good fer nuttin'! ;)

K8AI, WU8Y and N2EY like this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my favorite YouTube personality is Liberty Doll. Looking at her earlier videos and comparing to today she learned how to improve her presentations and editing. Becareful if you look her up, she can be contrary to the popular opinion on the zed.