GridTracker - A WSJT-X Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by N0TTL, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5PAP

K5PAP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just started FT8 this past Saturday. I checked out JTAlert briefly and found Grid Tracker. Grid tracker has helped me to isolate WAS entities and allow me to get my WAS completion done in three days. I am now chasing grids in the US and it does a great job. With the Call Roster settings it makes any type of "chasing" events very easy to spot and complete. Then on top of that you add Voice notifications, or media file notifications, and I never miss a grid, or contact, that I am looking for.

When doing DX searching by call area, or grid is a snap. There is so much to this program. A lot of folks are starting to use it as it has the functionality that most need to chase FT8 contacts.

I have HRD Logbook and have WSJT log directly to it without issue. GridTracker has many log features now, and from what I understand more will be released this Friday.

I really like the way I can go into HRD Logbook, create an ADIF file and simply drop it on the GridTracker map, and watch as all my contacts on GridTracker go from QSO's in yellow, to confirmed QSL's in red. Real sense of progress.

Another feature I like is the ability to hover over any grid and instantly see all of the QSO's that have taken please within that grid along with the date and time. The ability to adjust what QSO's show up on the map by band and mode is very helpful as well. I even use this now when I do SSB and dump my ADIF file onto the map to keep up with my contacts.

The program since it's inception is constantly being updated. I would recommend trying this out. I did not see anything in JTAlert that I needed that this program could not do for me. I look forward to whats coming next.

73's K5PAP

2. N6PCD

N6PCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting software, but not worth giving up JTalertX!

3. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No one says you have to give up JTAlert to use it. They can work together or stand-alone.

WD5DHK, W4ABC and KD2RHT like this.
  4. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is incredibly great!! Hams helping other hams and developers! I am back into the hobby after 41 year hiatus. I am intrigued by the digital modes, bought a new Yaseu FTDX-3000 and ready to go as soon as I can get my grounding as good as possible (South FL, lightning capitol). I am retired network guy, understand what ports are. But I could not even develop a "Hello World" routine.
    Steve, I so appreciate your efforts, which are not trivial.
    A trivial posting from me. but glad to see the fraternity/sorority all working together.
    DISCLOSURE: The sorority thing has been highly recommended by my two daughters, who are both BSEE ladies.

W4ABC likes this.
  5. N9CQC

N9CQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So far I've had no luck getting JTAlert and Gridtracker to work together reliably. I can usually get Gridtracker to successfully decode through one pass then it just stops decoding. No errors or anything. It just stops decoding. Any suggestions are appreciated.

6. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To have JT-Alert and GridTracker work co-operatively.

1) Shutdown both GridTracker and JT-Alert
    2) Open GridTracker
    3) Open Settings -> General tab
    4) In the "Receive UDP Messages" box, set the Port number to 2240
    5) Open JT-Alert
    6) Open JT-Alert settings and locate the WSJT-X settings
    7) Look for "enable UDP Message Forwarding" and enter Port 2240 ( The port must match what is in GridTracker and do not use 2237 )

Now traffic from WSJT-X will to JT-Alert then to GridTracker

GridTracker has the ability to initiate QSOs at your command with the Callable Roster ( A very power tool that is worked/confirmed status aware ), but will *NOT* operate when being forwarded data from JT-Alert.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    WD5DHK, KD5QZG and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. N9CQC

N9CQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Stephen. Changing the port number did the trick.

8. 4I1EBD

4I1EBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! I am running windows 10 64bit but i encounter problem installing the Grid Tracker application , my JTDX and WSJT-X is running smooth , when Grid tracker install the status when i double click it, it will stuck on "Loaded Maidenhead Database" i've waited 24hrs running but still no progress, may i ask for some help on this matter, it seems very disappointing , maybe there is some secret setting or adjustment to be made to the software will continue and the MAP will load eventually?

Best Regard,

73 de 4I1EBD

[​IMG]

9. KD2RHT

KD2RHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try turning off antivirus and see if that helps. It could be blocking the program from loading data from the internet.

10. K7UV

K7UV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you! I've finally found this info on running GT &JTA simultaneously. I prefer GRIDTRACKER and think it's a fantastic program and quite valuable. I saw an earlier post in 2018 where you said you might not have developed GT if you had been aware of ...something. I'm so glad you've proceeded.

WD5DHK likes this.