Grey-line propagation??

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0LPL, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all grey line propagation...something I have developed an interesting but a few things I dont understand.

I have had limited success inc a fantastic contact from UK to the USA on 160m...still excites me the thought of that one.

But...been getting on the radio 30min before my published sunrise...on looking out of the window to my eastern horizon were I see the sunrise in the UK...at the time I see the sky is already starting to brighten quite a lot at that time but the sun is still below the horizon...as I say this is 30min before posted sunrise.

So do I need to be on the air at sunrise as it already getting starting to get light or twilight which is 50mins before our sunrise...

Hope I am make sense.

Nick 2E0LPL

2. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I try to be on the radio closer to the twilight time or even a few minutes earlier. During the Winter I work gray line often in the evenings and during the summer I tend to do more in the mornings. This is due to my work schedule and what fits the best for me. I have worked VK and ZL QRP on SSB from North Carolina on 40 and 20 meters during gray line so it can be a fun time.

3. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I was wondering...I will work by setting up just before twilight.

Many thanks.

4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you will run 160 m WSPR for a couple of nights, the grey-line times will show up fairly definitively!

6. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page