ad: TinyPaddle-1

Green eggs and Ham?  That thar's Spam!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ks5d, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N8PCA @ April 22 2002,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I repeatedly tried to change my e~mail address on Yahoo. I could not seem to do it. (I am still a bit of a newbie at comp's) The "staff" at Yahoo was no help. I felt they were deliberitly dodging me. So, all I did was go into my machine and delete every stinking thing with "Yahooligan" on it. I probably have a thousand spam's in there by now. My big mistake was puting my MSN community on three or four search engines. After that it was all down hill. A lesson learned. No matter how many times I would block one or two specific spammers, they would come back at me again by using another address or IP. Yahoo stinks. Spammers stink!! 73' N8PCA[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think so. Have you tried Yahoo! recently? They have a new feature called a "bulk mail" folder. They have a known "blacklist" of spammers and will direct spam to that folder.

As for changing email addresses, why don't you just kill the old one and sign up for a new one?

2. KD5NRH

KD5NRH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IK4VYX @ April 16 2002,16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First, my email is communication from ham to ham
    not spam.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Let me put this in really simple terms for you: unsolicited commercial email is, by definition, spam.

People didn't ask you to email them, so it was unsolicited. You are selling something, so it is commercial. You are a spammer.

3. IK4VYX

IK4VYX Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD5NRH @ May 03 2002,10:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are selling something, so it is commercial.  You are a spammer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I do not agree, Joe.
    I'll try to explain my modest point of view
    With my email I'm not selling anything.
    The node I refer to in my email has totally
    free access, it is a good resource and there's no
    connection between me and the people who created
    that node.
    The tool I suggest to access that node can be used
    forever without registering it.
    This means that anybody can use it lifetime and never
    contact me.
    So the "commercial" word drops, together with
    the word "spammer".
    I may agree with you on the "unsolicited" word
    but there's something important to say, in this case:
    if an ham contacts another ham whose email address
    is published on an ham web site, to share ham relevant,
    non commercial info, with a one time email, then
    there's no violation.
    Otherwise if an ham does not wish to receive an
    "unsolicited" email from another ham
    he should avoid publishing his email address on a
    ham site, for a very simple reason:
    how could any other ham contact him with an email
    not "unsolicited" by definition?

Best Regards

Fab (IK4VYX)

4. AE4TM

AE4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

SPAM Statistics

This is becoming an increasingly important topic. As the ecomony becomes slower, people seem to sit around home thinking of new ways of SPAMMING us. Over time, more and more IP addresses will get blocked causing difficulty at sending useful emails.

Although I get less than 100 spams a day, I have been getting 3 copies of an unsolicited Chinese newspaper a day that I can neither read nor unsubscribe. I have sent numerous complaints to the newspaper, the Federal Government, and my ISP because the email's contain Chinese characters that are crashing my hospital computers where I work. So far no one has helped to block this site because it is considered a non-commercial newspaper read by many US citizens who speak Chinese.

Does the fact that it is non-commercial mean it is not SPAM? It is just a matter of time before someone somewhere suffers a computer crash leading to the death of a hospital patient because we are entering a new paperless era where hospital orders are being entered into computers.

In the meantime, I was forced to change my email address out of necessity. I also switched my operating system to LINUX because there is far less spying on Linux browsers than Windows browsers. The latter being one of the reasons for this recent surge in SPAMMING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.