ad: QSLWorks-1

Great Technical References from N1UL, Dr. Ulrich Rohde

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

N1UL.jpg
    N1UL - Dr. Ulrich Rohde

There are a few famous hams in our ranks and this week I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Ulrich Rohde, who is the son of one of the founders of Rohde & Schwarz, one of the world's foremost test and measurement equipment companies. Dr. Rohde was one of the pioneers of SDR and quoted from the DL35SDR page:

Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Ulrich L. Rohde, DJ2LR / N1UL was the first to describe possibilities and perspectives of SDR in a congress lecture at the "Third International Conference on HF Communication Systems and Techniques" in London in February 1985 (classified).

DJ2LR / N1UL, member of DARC Amateur Radio Club Munich South (C18) is recognized as one of the pioneers of SDR technology 35 years ago. In the 1970s DJ2LR was head of military equipment development at AEG/Telefunken in Ulm, where he was responsible for the construction of the AEG 6861 Manpack.

We're excited to have received three excellent technical papers from Dr. Rohde, which he emade available for wide distribution on QRZ. We're honored to have him as a QRZ Lifetime member and proud to serve these pages in support of his longtime service to all.

There are three papers. They are all in PDF format, attached to this article. They include:

• Test and Measurement for Radio Communication Equipment
    • The Rebirth of HF
    • Using small antenna for portable operations
    We hope you enjoy these great references from Dr. Rohde.

73, -fred AA7BQ

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
    N4QMS, AB5XZ, KX4O and 30 others like this.
  2. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you!

KR3DX, N9FM and PY2NEA like this.
  3. N9FM

N9FM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonderful! Thank you Dr. Rohde.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

N1UL ULLY GREETIN vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

5. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

grande classe et digeste ! Merci.

KR3DX likes this.
  6. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N4EEV and K9SS like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful on the 're-birth'.

Many hams are professionally part of this re-birth of HF, for commercial and defense needs. Hardly a surprise. But heed the warning: re-birth of interest spells future LOSS OF HF amateur radio allocations--IF we do NOT use the bands.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    PY2NEA, KA2FIR, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  8. K4WPC

K4WPC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had the privilege of making FT8 contacts with N1UL on six different bands. His knowledge and expertise are “way” above my pay grade. Did I mention “Way” above? HIHI. I never cease to be amazed at the gifts that many people have been blessed with.
    Thank you, Dr. Rohde’s for your hard work and resulting contributions to the world of radio and communications.

NY0MN, N9FM, VP2EKG and 2 others like this.
  9. WA3UTC/SK2023

WA3UTC/SK2023 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dr. Rohde's checked into our 6 Meter AM net here in Raleigh, NC a few weeks back and spent some time telling us about his 6 Meter AM operation. Dr. Rohde’s you are truly a marvel and the Raleigh Area 6 Meter AM net would like to thank you for your contributions to the world of radio and communications.

N9FM, KR3DX, N4PAJ and 2 others like this.
  10. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

EXCELLENT articles that are clearly and concisely written, and enhanced with good illustrations. THANK YOU.

KO4LZ and K9SS like this.
  11. I8QJU

I8QJU Ham Member QRZ Page

In my work I have had the opportunity to use Rohde & Swartz equipment, I confirm the great quality and precision of these instruments.
    Thanks dr. Rhode.

N9FM and KO4LZ like this.
  12. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

one word...
    Awesome

13. VA3EP

VA3EP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the papers, have added to my reading list.

I was fortunate to work N1UL on 20M FT8 on 2019-12-25 19:09.

Truly a giant in our midst.

Eric VA3EP

14. K5JKR

K5JKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for these articles.

15. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This didn't sound quite right. A little bit of Googling and reading of Wikipedia indicates that R&S was founded in 1933 and N1UL was born in 1940. But he does have a connection. R&S was founded by Lothar Rohde (and Hermann Schwartz). Lothar Rohde is Ulrich's father.

Short bio
    Only skimmed them so far, but they do look interesting. I have two of Ulrich Rohde's books on my book shelf and he has contributed several articles to amateur radio publications. He has contributed a lot to amateur radio.