ad: MyersEng-1

"Great Quality" RG6 coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NM7G, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed! I do like buying cheap stuff, but there is a point where if you have to spend money, one might as well spend just a bit more and "know" that it will be quality when it comes in. The coax I bought in this thread, if I never used it, it might have been wasted money--except the hour or two I've spent measuring its response was time well spent, and a night out on the town would have cost me more. That I "know" it's ok for short runs, and have used it here and there, means all is well on that gamble.

2. LU6PSG

LU6PSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Reputable CCS RG6 are specified down to 5MHz... those have a center conductor resistance of ~30ohm pero 1000ft. or 15ohm per 500ft... and this is about standard 21% IACS CCS. So you can perform a quick test of the CCS quality just by using a multimeter.

I have tested many brands and posted some results here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/my-cheap-coax-is-junk-but-why.703069/page-5#post-5458761

Good RG6 with 21% IACS CCS performs almost as good as LMR-240 between 3.5 an 14MHz, and slightly better above 14MHz. I also tested the cable with 1500W+ PEP from my dual LDMOS amplifier on 20m without problems so far.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    N0TZU, KB1CKT and WA7ARK like this.
  3. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I *almost* checked DC resistance, but for some reason did not. Next time. Interesting that on your plot RG8x is better for below 40m (and rather close on 40m), I would not have guessed that.

4. SPEEDSKATER

SPEEDSKATER QRZ Member

Well, the cable TV people use a CCS coax, but the satellite TV people have to use a solid copper coax. That's because they have to send DC power up to the dish.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes.

N0TZU likes this.