"Great Quality" RG6 coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NM7G, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

So that is why there is orange cable on ebay! I was wondering why orange. [Of course, the stuff on ebay doesn't indicate a manufacturer... I wonder why!]

2. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I use RG-6 with the original cable TV connectors to feed my BOG (Beverage On Ground), but I've never tried transmitting through it.

It works very well for the receive-only BOG.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. KB1CKT

I could buy that--the antenna is lossy, so what's a few more dB? All about SNR on receive.

It's the TX aspect that's bugging me at the moment...

AK5B likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using RG6 CCS with for a dipole, and a receive loop. Works great for RX and TX at 100W. I use excellent quality Beldon F connectors that you can get by the bag cheap. The female panel mount connectors are inexpensive and good to use for the balun box or whatever.

5. KB1CKT

I wish I could get Beldon's again, or I should say, get them at the hardware store. The "Ideal" connector brand just don't feel as good.

The local electronics surplus place had the F bulkheads--and they closed up shop. :( Am ordering more of those online. I forget what size drill bit, but I've found that if I drill a hole just large enough for the flats, it is easy, on plastic boxes, to take a round file and open up the holes so that the connector is properly "caught" and won't spin. I should look to see what thread the nut is and get more, some of the bulkheads have very thin nuts that don't look very healthy.

Next time I go to the transfer station I might see what VCR's got dropped off, perhaps I can snag something there...

6. N0TZU

Here are Beldons (PPC) by the bag that I bought. $23 for 50.

https://smile.amazon.com/50-Pack-Co...PPC+EX6XL&qid=1606326356&s=electronics&sr=1-3

7. KB1CKT

Why didn't I think to go to Amazon? geez...

8. N0TZU

Just be on guard against cheapo imitations when shopping for technical items - actually, any items.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    NQ1B and AK5B like this.
  9. KB1CKT

No kidding. Ebay is worse. It's like shopping at Radioshack all over again. Only cheaper and without the blank stares.

AK5B likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page