Great idea

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by M3KXZ, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

5BTV is a good antenna for RVing, if you are going to be camped in one spot for a while.

2. AG7LB

AG7LB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a comet cha-250 vertical antenna on a steel mast fastened to the rv ladder with worm clamps. Grounding is by a wire from the mast to a ground rod and to the frame of the 5th wheel. I usually keep the rv at a campground in idaho called the village of trees rv resort. They even help me install the antenna.

AF9US likes this.
  3. AC9EX

AC9EX Ham Member QRZ Page

We have been seriously considering the RV lifestyle as soon as I can retire. Which is likely 10 years or so in the future. I am considering mounting my HY-tower on a pivoting device off the back of the (40') 5th wheel so I can stow it on the roof and remove the whip when traveling. Just not sure of the RF radiation as it is entirely a driven tower. A vertical antenna on a pivot of some sort will more than likely be the candidate though. Like the new R9 or the like. Radials will be an issue no matter where you camp though. I also thought of a permanent windom or G5RV on the roof as well, though that will require a tuner to operate. Decisions, decisions!

4. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well. Andrew... I should have just used my strongest Google-fu with the names (remco) that you put into original post. I had contacted my local Lincoln Towncar dealer on some sort of a transmission pump or drive line disconnect. They checked directly with the factory and came back with NO WAY DUDE. Then I checked with the RV dealer (but only the sales department so far) and they didn't have a clue either. Full trailering was what I was told for a Towncar (ech!).

The Remco site directed me to...

http://www.swdriveline.com/

...and they appear to install a Remco drive line disconnect, at least into trucks. I filled out their contact / question form to see about them doing a complete install into a Lincoln Towncar.

Question: Was there a reason you chose a transmission pump rather than a drive line disconnect? I am a true NOOB on RVs and towing something behind them. I truly don't yet have a clue.

Thanks a lot for your ideas!

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My TOWN CAR has a hard enough time pulling ITSELF up a hill, so no chance it could even tow even a light little Trailer!

6. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Pat,

You may be surprised. I made 7 or 8 trips to / from AZ & CA towing a tandem axle U-Haul. The biggest trailer they rent (14'? 16'? I forget). 5 of those trips "all at once" crammed into a Christmas to New Year's holiday. Brutal, "Banzai" trips those last 5 were. I have a frame mounted hitch rated for much more than the Towncar is rated for :)

Careful, slow driving was my plan. No crazy starting / stopping as well as taking a long run at the hills and summits. The last two trips back from AZ... the last one especially... I had the trailer loaded to the max. Over the max "probably". Way over :)

Towncar did amazingly fine. Feather foot on the gas. Careful on the brakes, use the transmission for down hill slowing as much as possible.

One of the long summit climbs was interesting as I got a good run at the miles long climb. I watched my carefully pre-built-up speed bleed away from 80 to 70 to 60 to... downshift... 40... 30... downshift... 20(!) Moved into the double truck lane... Out of overdrive... first gear... 15(!!!) grind, grind, grind for the last mile or so with the gas mashed to the floor. I think I dropped to 12 or 13MPH for a few hundred yards. Pucker time. I figured the tranny gearing would probably keep it "safe". Hot as hell for a few miles, but probably it would survive. It did. My real fear was that all of the power & torque was being applied through the rear end differential and THAT worried the heck out of me.

Made it OK. That was three Christmas' ago this coming holiday season. I've put another 60k on the Towncar since then. Never had a problem with it, just brakes, batteries and tires for 150K total. They are tough beasts. No wonder why Limo companies ran them for 300 to 500k miles.

YMMV, of course. I've had some past experience (long ago) towing a 30 foot camping trailer for 5 seasons. Best advise I remember hearing was "start slow and go no faster" Smilie QRZ 100%-Yellow Happy Face Smile.jpg .

7. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VA3IF

VA3IF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a little off topic, but I love the fifth wheel. Had present one for 2 yrs now. Used a buddy pole. Worked ok The first RV was too small.. This fifth wheel is long enough to string a decent dipole. That's what a ham is really concerned about when choosing an RV., but the XYL has different priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.