Great conditions on 80m

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NZ5F, Mar 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

This past weekend 80m was on fire with the SSB DX contest. I worked further into Europe than I have ever experienced on 80m SSB. So far four new band entities confirmed on LOTW. Think that two to three more of the contacts that I need for 80m DXCC should confirm soon on LOTW. The remainder want greenstamps so I will pass on trying to confirm with them and wait for next year’s contest to Continue the path to 100 confirmed. It was so satisfying to work so many cool DX stations on SSB. Really amazing conditions this late in the winter season. Did anyone notice that Saturday night was especially good on 80m?

K0UO likes this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only did I work ten new 75M countries in 3 hours in the contest, including ZM1A already confirmed by LoTW, but last night I worked Kuwait and Israel on 80M FT8. Just 20 more countries on 75M for 5B DXCC all on phone.

New Zealand is 8900 miles away. I find that distance harder to work that Australians farther away. There is a simple reason for that. If station is exact opposite side of the globe, any beam heading works!
    Thus, you have more paths to get all the way to the antipodes, than if you have one just 2/3rds the distance.

Zak W1VT

NZ5F, KB2FCV and K0UO like this.
  3. WA8OLN

WA8OLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes , 80 was good. 160 propagation was great also.

NZ5F likes this.
  4. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn’t hear too much on 160m probably because my setup is not ideal with the 50’ vertical for both receive and transmit but it certainly played well this past weekend on 80m. Of course the stations I was fortunate enough to make contact with have mighty stations for the most part so doing most of the work. Many of these big stations don’t do LOTW and I don’t do cards for most part so will need to hope and work others down the road in that particular entity for the contacts to count for awards and such. Not a big deal.

5. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm pretty sure this is a "phone" discussion, but I worked TO7DL on 3.503 Mhz late on the Friday part of the subject time period. Got him on my 350-foot-who-knows-where-it-is-resonant horizontal loop with 100W. My QRZ app says that's 10,336 miles from here, so I'll throw in on the assertion that condx were gud.

NZ5F and KP4SX like this.
  6. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I work CW on 80m too. I worked Palestine E44CC for an ATNO Mixed DXCC on 80m CW in February and that was frigging amazing. So stoked with that one. 80m is my fav band at the moment (well until May rolls around and then 6m will be it for me). For about three months every year, I don't even get on HF (lol).

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally made it over the top on 80m! It took a couple OQRS and an email over a busted call to TN5R but now I can focus on 160m and 10m

upload_2020-3-13_8-19-51.png

NZ5F, W1VT and KP4SX like this.
  8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I got the E44 plus the 5I5 recently on 80 meters. Nice conditions!

NZ5F likes this.