Great big batteries for mobile operation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by VE7TOP, Apr 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE7TOP

VE7TOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again thanks for the valuable advice. I'll be returning the 150amp fuses and replacing them with 50amp. The other two batteries will go on an ICT intellilgent charger and will sit outside on a covered pad beside the ham shack.

NH7RO likes this.
  2. VE7TOP

Thanks for all the very useful advice. The fuses have been scaled back to 50amps and only one battery will go into the vehicle. The other two will live in a stand just outside the downstairs ham shack and be hooked up to an ICT intelligent charger.

3. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a used automotive battery in a battery box with handle and an N8XJK Super Booster that I use for the HF radio for infrequent but extended stationary operation. So as that battery begins to sag during the operation day, the voltage is maintained, even when I operate at about 200W RF with the Kenwood 480HX. I have an oldie but goodie electronic Diehard battery charger for recharging this separate battery from the little Honda generator or 120VAC mains outlet. When driving the Jeep, the alternator delivers the typical 13.8V and the radio is running from the underhood battery. I toyed with the idea of a dual battery installation and the changeover/isolation gear, but decided I could use things I already have (Ham frugality and Scottish ancestry) and keep the engine bay stock.

4. VA3RIR

VA3RIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Which Land Rover do you have? There is room for a second battery in the Defenders. I am restoring/upgrading my 97 Defender completely. I have dual batteries in mine, the AUX battery will be used for HAM Radio, Audio system, RC airplane chargers etc. I am using a Battery Doctor 150 amp to charge and isolate the batteries, I have a 140 AMP alternator .

They also carry a 100amp unit too for those with less than 100 amp alternators.

https://www.wirthco.com/batteryisolatorseries.html 150 amp

https://www.wirthco.com/20090.html 100 amp

73s

5. VE7TOP

Currently I have a 2001 Discovery II. As I tell many people I did have an 89 Range Rover Classic but I came to my senses and got rid of it. Replaced it with an 88 RRC. Both great vehicles but parts were getting scarce. The alternator is a 130 amp and I have a Battery Doctor 150 amp isolator. Unfortunately there isn't space for an auxiliary battery under the hood so it sits in the seat well behind the front passenger seat. The back seat on that side has been removed and replaced with a mini-rack to hold computers, power panels and radios.