ad: Winterfest-1

GRC-9 paint.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2AMR, Apr 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2AMR

W2AMR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to repaint the grill for my GRC-9 military receiver. I have looked everywhere for paint that matches the front panel color, but no luck yet. Does anyone know where I can get a can of spray paint to do the job?

2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about a spray can but I think auto body shops are good at matching colors.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. W7TFO

Rapco has all the standard OD greens. One contact will get the right one.

73DG

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if this will help for an exact match, but a Google search for OD GREEN PAINT brot up a LOT of possibilities.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no exact match.

Paint slightly varies in color from batch to batch during manufacturing.

You can read about it here.

http://www.quicktint.co.za/2009/10/how-to-reduce-colour-variation/

To get an exact match they would have to analyze a sample using a computer and then use a machine to create the exact matching color paint.

Auto body shops can do this, even in small quantities but you would have to apply it using a spray gun attached to an air compressor.

7. W2AMR

W2AMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx for the responses. Looks like Rapco is the way to go. Now I just have to figure out what shade of green the front panel is.

8. W7TFO

From what I've seen on those radios, 24087 is probably what you want.

73DG

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Go by Sherwin Williams. They can scan the item and make you up a custom batch of paint. There are custom one use sprayers which is a tank of propellant with a glass container that screws on below. The key is to get the correct amount of thinner mixed in with the paint. I did this and painted an RT-320 Clansman manpack. The brand is Preval.

http://www.preval.com/

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've purchased similar units from NAPA and other auto parts stores that handle paint stuff. NAPA currently shows the Preval unit as pn BK 7705030 (link).

Bryan WA7PRC

KA4KOE likes this.