Gravel Dust and Cigar Smoke Effect On Transceivers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by K0DUC, Sep 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to smoke cigars when I cruise, and I drive gravel roads up in the country. Now that I have a full rack mount mobile setup in the car, instead of just a CB and a 2m/70cm rig, I would really like to ask the question about how much of a threat these things are to all of my equipment that I bring along.

Currently my setup has my Yaesu 450d big rig in the Gator case for a good quality mobile HF unit. That and currently I've switched to my Kenwood Kenwood v71a for 2m/70cm because of its dual monitor ability. I don't worry about my Cobra 29LTD CB radio, stupid simple and road proven (and most replaceable if something goes wrong with it) but the other two units are far more expensive and higher end. With fans on them for cooling, no less.

Are these radios at high risk of damage from cigar smoke and dust? To what extent are such Amateur rigs built for the rigors of the road? Are they built for nice clean new cars, or for full on semi truck or rugged small truck use and abuse? Should I not smoke in the car, should I be more concerned with sealing the car against dust? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nicotine/tar deposits are an Excellent preservative and corrosion inhibitor. Ask any Boat Anchor enthusiast. My best preserved radios had lots of yellow coating!

Don't worry about it. Enjoy life and your radios. Probably the only to keep an eye on is internal temperature. After a few years it may be worthwhile to open them up and vacuum out the dust.

3. KE0NSK

KE0NSK Ham Member QRZ Page

People confuse cigarette smoke with cigar smoke. Cigar smoke has little in it and won't turn everything yellow like cigarettes will. The cigar ash will stink forever if not disposed of properly thought.

4. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Change your cabin air filter element, that should answer your question about your specific conditions.
    I wouldn't worry about it, though. I've encountered a lot of electronic equipment that purely reeks of tobacco tars, but still work just fine.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't imagine either (or both) is conducive to retaining functionality over the long run.

The solution to pollution is dilution. Roll the windows down and be done worrying about it. Or quit smoking.... inside the rig.

6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

The dust probably not so bad on the radios because it can be wiped off the case and blown out of the inside. The tar & nicotine from the cigars might be a different story...

7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Cigarette and cigar smoke is no problem for the radio. The cigars will kill you long before the radio. Keep on puffing.