ad: CQMM-1

Grandfather - KA6JJJ

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K4GUN, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4GUN

K4GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandfather passed away today. It was sad, but also a relief. He has not been in good health for quite some time now so it wasn't a surprise.

Grandpa Clifford got his ham ticket back in the 1970's in order to communicate with his daughter, my aunt, who was on a missonary stint in South America. Both he and my grandma got their ticket and grandma went on to get her amateur extra as KK6S. Both were active for years and had a very large tower in their back yard. I have very fond memories of looking at all the fancy gadgets they had set up.

Both grandparents drifted away from amateur radio as they aged. They moved into a new house closer to my dad and never set up and antennas. They were excited when I caught the bug, but never got back into it themselves. Both kept renewing their licenses though.

Grandpa had a full and exciting life. He was a school teacher, administrator and missionary. He spent time in Guatemala, Haiti and the Sudan. He spent time visiting my aunt in Southern Africa and was even mugged in Mozambique just a couple of years ago.

He and grandma also spent a lot of time on motorcycles. He was an avid rider right up until a couple of years ago and took many cross-country trips. He rigged up the Gold Wing with 2 meter gear so he and grandma could talk on the way.

I'll miss him. KA6JJJ is survived by his wife KK6S, three sons (my dad was WD6DPQ but let it expire), one daughter (KA6CZP), 9 grandchildren and 2 great grand children (that I know of).

2. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sincere condolences on your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man and grandfather. It takes a special one to engage in missionary work.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.. 2Ti 4:7

His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Mat 25:23

3. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to echo what Mike said. What a GREAT MAN !!!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.