Got the radio(s), got the antenna, what next?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KB3LOM, Apr 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3LOM

KB3LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Waiting on one more small item (some coax) and I'm ready to hunt satellites. Got the FT818 ready for field use and the FT60 ready to receive. Just need to program some frequencies in the next day or so (its gonna rain anyway) and I think I am ready. Oh yes - my Elk antenna arrived Saturday and I want to get that assembled tonight.

I've looked at various tracking programs, and they all look good, but I need something basic. A website with schedules for my zip code would be nice to get started. Don't mind paying a little if its worth it. Can anyone recommend something? Thanks!

K4BAD likes this.
  2. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Steven! You have a good start for chasing the birds.
    Initially,if you concentrate on FM satellites AO-91 andAO-92 you will make some fairly easy contacts.
    Welcome to the club!
    73 K4BAD Harry

AK5B likes this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always liked heavens-above.com for pass predictions; click on the amateur satellites---all passes link on the home page once you log in with your 6-digit grid square. Same site I used 20 years ago and didn't have internet at home---went to the library and printed out a couple day's worth of bird info...:D

Jeff

5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

yrs ago i monitored from my mobile while on jobs. seems i heard one every 90 minutes??
    never worked it.
    today i know zero about sats. give me any 144 or 450 freq to monitor.
    give my vhf/uhf something to do !
    maybe ill get interested...

oops, found it...still advise...

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

!!!...i actually heard chatter . with a mag mount on my power supply !!
    so i need an antenna to have some new fun...!

7. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

The ISS Detector app is the easiest I’ve used.

8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

For iOS:

GoSatWatch - Paid App
    SatSat - Free App

For Android:

AmsatDroid FREE

9. KB3LOM

KB3LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, if program a bunch of downlinks into my HT, will it pick any up from inside the house?

10. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe.

Depends on your roof, and the satellite you're trying to hear. With a wood/shingle roof here, I can hear the higher AO-91 & AO-92 passes from my living room with an HT and long duckie. Never been able to get through the satellite to make an indoor QSO, although some have with a directional antenna like an Arrow or Elk. I don't hear SO-50 indoors unless it is directly overhead, with its weaker 70cm downlink compared to AO-91 and AO-92 on 2m.

73!