Got RTTY?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA0HCP, Jan 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL RTTY Roundup this afternoon has signals wall-to-wall on 40m. Yes, the bands are dead and no one operates anymore. Wow!
    IMG_20200104_162226.jpg

N4NYK likes this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been down with a cold for a couple of days. Nothing else to do at the moment, so I'm doing the RTTY round up. Conditions are actually pretty good on twenty on down.

Sitting here running folks on 80 meters... 80 is packed! We really need that extra 50 KHz at the top end back!

N4NYK likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just finished up the contest and uploaded log. Hope we gave each other points.
    73, BZ

ARRL Section : MI
    Club/Team :
    Software : N1MM Logger+ 1.0.8047.0
    Band QSOs Pts Sec DXC Pt/Q
    3.5 114 114 7 0 1.0
    7 77 77 28 2 1.0
    14 49 49 12 5 1.0
    Total 240 240 47 7 1.0
    Score : 12,960

N4NYK likes this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lessee...
    Pix worth 1k words...
    Kind of crappy resolution, but you get the gist...

upload_2020-1-5_19-21-9.png

K8BZ and KA0HCP like this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Job.

6. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked the contest using FT8 and had fun.

7. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife took advantage of the great holiday sales, and I got a 7100, my first modern HF rig. I have a 30 year old IC-725, but I really haven't used it for anything and certainly not for digital modes. This was the first radio contest that I have ever tried.

The best I could do in such a short time was make a 20m dipole taped to the side of my house, approximately 12 feet off of the ground. The only wire that I had was some 26 gauge 4 conductor phone wire. It's held up with blue painter's tape. I've got about 4 feet of ladder line that connects to an old antenna tuner that I picked up at a hamfest.

I made one FT8 contact on New Year's Day. Due to family obligations, I couldn't really sit down for long periods and try to figure things out.

I was pretty pleased that I managed to make 16 contacts for a grand total of 160 points. I was really happy that I was able to make two QSOs with Japan. I accidentally made a few duplicates, but I wasn't using any type of logging software.

I have some tall trees on the property but 2 boundaries of the property, where the tallest trees are have overhead power lines. I thought about trying to put up a long wire, but it was pouring rain and it was the last weekend that my kids were home, so maybe next time. That will also give me a chance to check out RTTY, which I was able to decode with the 7100, but not on the computer.

I realize that I have quite a bit to learn. One thing that surprised me, was that there were almost no contacts on FT8, they all seemed to be on FT4.

Overall, quite a bit of fun.

K8BZ likes this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at the 7100 at one time.
    I started about 6:30 local time, XYL was still sleeping so I took advantage of "no audio" rtty.
    Made just over a dozen contacts, condx on 80M were excellent so I started halving the power on each contact
    until I reached 5W on the 9100
    When 80 started to change I switched to 40M and continued on with 5W
    Its interesting to see what you can do with lower power

K8BZ likes this.
  9. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RTTY was hopping this weekend! Nice to see all of the activity. Now if I could just find a RTTY (or any interactive digital) QSO during non-contest times...

[​IMG]