Got a transceiver... how do I know if it works?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N5HXR, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just may take you up on that! Thanks for the help.

2. N5HXR

I have visited one club meeting so far (when my son and I took our tests). Unfortunately, every club in my area that I've found meets on Thursdays, and I have a pretty hard commitment on Thursday nights, so I don't know if I can really get that involved in clubs. I mean seriously. I can't be the only person in the world who would prefer at least one other night every now and then!

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

An old SWL does have to cost a bunch. I have an old Sagean ATS 818. Even an old Sagean ATS 803a are cheap but handy. Good luck with your new kit. Enjoy it!

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

20 M has been running hot one day and cold the next. This morning I tuned in WWV on 15 MHz and it was not heard at all, on 10 MHz it was S9+
    Also do not expect much on 20 M after dark unless your dipole is on a 70 Ft tower/
    I notice that some attic antennas seem to work a LOT BETTER than others. I am sure it has something to do with other metal items in the roof or near the antenna elements.

5. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Answer a few CQs around 14.060, early afternoon, your time. Try every day for about 15-30 minutes.

BTW, check out http://www.qrp-labs.com/party.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI JOSHUA,

HANG IN THERE AND DON'T GET DISCOURAGED.

I DID A SEARCH ON YOUR ZIP CODE AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING:

database search for zip code 70726.jpg

THERE ARE A LOT OF HAMS IN YOUR COMMUNITY. HOPEFULLY YOU CAN FIND
    ONE WHO LIVES CLOSE TO YOUR QTH AND CAN LISTEN FOR YOUR QRP SIGNAL.

HAVE FUN WITH QRP.
    W4WXA QRP MASCOT.jpg

73 - K1LKP

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on completing the kit and getting on the air! Keep trying! Bands are fickle right now.

8. N5HXR

Fickle is OK -- I know I'm jumping into the deep end with a QRP rig. I'm having tons of fun as it is, though. Thanks for the suggestions, all of you! I will definitely look someone up in my area, or finagle some way to get to a club meeting one of these months.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  9. N1SP

N1SP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good advice- at that time of day, if the band is decent you should get a QSO when you answer a caller. When I get tired of unanswered calls to my CQ while working QRP, I will often go on "the hunt" for a station calling CQ- truly, the theory of "if you can hear them you can work them" very often works.

Not every station you hear calling CQ is going to create a pileup and may have to call repeatedly. They will be LISTENING harder for a reply than they would if they were just dialing around looking for a contact.

You might be "jumping into the deep end" a little as 20 has been a bit touch and go, but should be getting better from here- I've had several contacts to TX (from VT) the last few days.

Antennas the biggest topic for all hams- we'll leave that for another time. My humble advice... listen more than speak and answer a strong stations call- bet you will get a nice report.
    y

10. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’d forgotten how this thread started, so I refreshed my memory. I worked WG0AT from NE PA on 14.060 in the afternoon and he was using a Mountaintopper from CO running 3 W. KI5FXG certainly has. enough juice to a make a QSO. Maybe he should post a schedule and get some of us to listen.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019