Got a phone call today

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KO6WB, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This evening my roomate took a call and told me to get on the phone because Micrsoft technicians have detected fault with my computer. So I got on the phone and asked what the problem was. Again the answer was that the folks at Microsoft had detected a problem with my computer. The caller had an accent and did not know my name or email address. So I played along. They asked me to pull up the RUN and to enter "eventvwr" in the prompt. Okay I did that and the computer displayed the event viewer. They asked me to scan through the listings and tell them if there were any error messages. I told they this would take awhile since I had 3225 listings to go through. They told me to count the events as I went. So far this has taken over a half hour to get to this point. Then they wanted me to link my computer to them and gave me new display to go to. It asked me for an authoraztion code and I didn't have their code. They told me to hold on and they would get me the code to enter and they even went so far as to tell me to make sure I write it down and save it. It was very important that I do this. Okay, all the while I was asking some questions about what they were planning to do for me. They kind of avoided answering and continued with their instructions. It should me noted that the caller appeared to reading from a script. After a little more back and forth and thinking I have taken enough of their time, I simply hung up on them. They actually called back. I didn't answer this time.
    Doing a little search on the net and I found this scam was being pull off in the UK earlier in the year. They were fixing others computer in the UK for the low sum of 185 pounds. That's about $295.00 US dollars.
    Beware.
    Gary

2. G1TWS

G1TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard of this scam.

What they want is to gain control so that they can do things.

If I got a call I would say.

Hold on whilst I go to another part of the property. After about 3/4 of an hour I would then say sorry for the delay I live in Windsor Castle. I moved in when someone in the family who lived here before got married and they moved out.

3. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now the fun thing is seeing if they actually knew what Windsor Castle was. The ease of calling a number from any where in the world has made these scams easier. Had a friend that was in Afghanistan training police. He had a VOIP phone with a local number. He was able to call or get calls without charge. When I get e-mails I send back all my "info" for them. I make up the most vulgar names for everything and when I get is back saying these things as my name or street address I try to string them along and see how many times I can get them to go to Western Union. Once I get them to go 3 or 4 times they start getting mad and start threatening me by saying "You dont know who you are messing with" or "We are going to report you to agency a or b." Then I quit toying with them,

4. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not so much that they want to take over your computer it is that they want to sell you something to stop all the "problems" with your computer,the ones you never knew you had. I had the call several times from the same East Indian idiot named "Shawn" and I kept asking the guy how they knew the error reports were from MY computer. All he kept saying was that it was because of the auto reporting. When I asked him how he knew that it was MY computer and how he got my phone number he again just stated it was from the error reports.I told him thit it was funny because I do not sent error reports off to microsoft, and my phone number and real contact info is never used in registering.That was when I unloaded on him verbally threatening his call center with violating the do not call list as well as questioning his parental lineage. The calls stopped. For about a month. Yesterday I got a call from another east Indian named "Maria". She got the condensed version of what "Shawn" got. I figure I am good for another couple weeks.

5. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I have a REJECT list on my phone ... any calls get 1 shot if it comes from an 800 or 866 # it gets the reject list ... if its a weird # it goes to the reject list ... etc. etc.

6. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

At the "Microsoft Technicians have detected a fault on your computer..." I would have hung up. MS has no idea how to contact people with Windows installed.

7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it was a lucky phone call:

[video=youtube;ZyM82J-dXGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyM82J-dXGA[/video]

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

What's even funnier is when a pure Linux household gets the call. Do these scams run well under Wine? :)

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I say "hold on while I get someone who cares" and lay the phone down and never come back. :p

10. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Be sure to lay it next to the clock radio playing music too.....can't be totally rude...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.