Got a new laptop...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KI4ZUQ, Oct 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where may I find version 2.1.1 ? They were showing 2.3 is now available. I just want something that is KNOWN TO WORK!

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

As I alluded to earlier and KA9JLM amplified, there is a forum in which folks talk about the constant 'updates' to the newer operating system.
    Here is why that is a concern: starting at the bit level, we have different levels of software. Skipping at least one, they are: assembly language ( works directly on hardware such as CPU ), drivers ( tells CPU how to handle hardware ), operating system ( O.S. controls interactions between hardware, eg. keyboard and display ), and applications ( uses services of all of the previous at the O.S. and driver levels ).
    If the operating system itself changes, the applications ( such as "hamlib" ) may respond differently. Since the 'updates' to the O.S. are "Pushed", as in no choice unless intentionally disabled- consequences for that... This can affect the application. So which version of the O.S.? "Creator?" Folks complained to me that it 'broke' certain LAN printer drivers when 'pushed'.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the complete overview of general system layers. I am sorry you wasted your time typing it because it's completely irrelevant to the single narrow topic here.

Usually I am quite fond of topic drift, because it often leads in delightful directions, but none of this is informative or germane to the topic.

Lamenting modern software deployment is already a fine art and deserves its own thread. Please start a new threaed for discussion. I have a few things to add.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oh, darn. my fault, I didn't think it through. Possibly there's an archive, otherwise, are you willing to compile from scratch?

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that in post #2 I mentioned that the forum area "Computers, Software... etc." is where the comparison of Windows 10 (TM/R/?) and 8 should be. In post #12, I explained the layers, which are often downward dependent. I intentionally skipped machine language and an explanation of BIOS. Now if the machine in question has been set up without access to the Internet, then automatic updates will not occur. I understand that some folks also have found ways to disable automatic updates, yet not all are entirely 'permanent'. Yet I liked what you said in post #3, that the problem is in the version of 'hamlib' ( which does not pertain to Windows 8 (TM/R/etc.) nor 10- you say now , not then ). If I were to post more on why I purchased Windows 7(TM/R/etc.) and Office (TM/R/etc.?)- it would be in the other forum. some time ago, actually.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the best thing to do is, Make a Restore Point, Then give V2.3 a try. ;)

If it don't work you can use your restore point to go back.

What works for others may not work for you. And what works for you may not work for others.

You are the beta tester. You can help others telling your experience. :)

Good Luck.

7. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to small toucscreen laptops that only came with #@G drives...wsa using them for portable ops..now can't use them because of the hard driewhas no space for updates . Sad..why buidl something that is going to fail. I gues minumum for window 10 wqould be 256GB..knida like the iphones...updates fiorced untiol your phone fails a

8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SSHDs have become dirt cheap and instructions to change them out are readily available. As an added bonus you will notice a general speed increase in older machines.

9. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

these are the soldering type of drives...so there is thzAt...I know abouyt changing to SSD...,most of my other laptops have SSD's

10. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the WSJT-X release notes, it says that the issue for the FT-817 was fixed back in version 1.9.0 rc3. There is no other reference to this specific transceiver, though it is possible a regression was introduced at some time. There are several references to Hamlib regression bug fixes in more recent versions of the software, and the note for version 2.2.1 states that there were some fixes for "some rigs including the Yaesu FT-991 and FT-891". http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt

Version 2.3.0-rc1 is available on the main web page if you would like to give it a shot. http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

The documentation talks about how to have WSJT-X talk to other software (such as Flrig) for handling CAT control. Looks like you get the separate software configured, then choose that software from the list of transceivers inside WSJT-X. http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.2.html#RADIO

KB0MNM likes this.