ad: ProAudio-1

Gordon Read, W4YIH; WW2 Pearl Harbor Veteran

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4RJR, Nov 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your service and I Hope my generation will never forget Pearl Harbor and Heroic men like you. God Bless!

M1WML and KE0GXN like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome story. Wish we had more like him left in our world!

M1WML, KQ1V and KF0DHQ like this.
  3. W0KPC

W0KPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bud. I really enjoyed that. My father-in-law was a 33 year army vet. Started in WWII and through Vietnam - he wouldn't talk about it, unless we asked. I'm a Navy vet from the mid 80's and I knew we were panzies compared to the guys who actually fought during wartime, and I always asked questions to hear his stories and perspective. Gordon was a delight to listen to. 73 to you both.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go NAVY!!!

M1WML and W4AUT like this.
  5. N7AME

N7AME XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your service and God Bless you and your family.
    I was Signal Corps 1964 - 1968 then Communications in the Washington Air National Guard for 25 years.
    My brother-in-law gave me an outstanding book called the Radioman written by Carol Edgemon Hipperson. A bio for of Ray Doves a noncom who served and witness
    to several events including being on the bridge of the USS Yorktown (aircraft carrier) before it went down.
    When we go to Hawaii, the major stop is the USS Arizona to pay our respects. Met many survivors when we went in early December and attend the event on the 7th.

M1WML likes this.
  6. WA3CVC

WA3CVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, my name is Henry Hill, Wa3cvc, I ran the Pearl Harbor net for a few years. I am not a Pearl Survivor, but they all got up there in years and asked me to do it The net fell apart and Gordon was lost in the white noise as I never heard him again. I do not have a working radio at the moment. I did write three books on Pearl Harbor, with some of the net members in them. I never got an interview with Gordon.

My email address is henryohill@gmail.com. Let me know if Gordon wants a copy of the books. Looke the books up on Amazon. Here are the titles

Pearl Harbor, Once Upon a night before
    Pearl Harbor, Once Upon a Day
    Pearl Harbor, Once upon a time

Attached Files:

M1WML and W4AUT like this.
  7. K0WVL

K0WVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that submariners net sked.. eastern time?

M1WML likes this.
  8. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gordon,
    Greatest respect, shipmate.

"The sea is selective, slow in recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit." Felix Riesenberg

Hugh-WA2LXB
    Lt. USNR-1985-1994

M1WML likes this.
  9. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing life! Thank you for selfless serving!

M1WML likes this.
  10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

He is still sharp as a tack, An honor to set here and watch/Listen to his story.

M1WML likes this.
  11. W4AUT

W4AUT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

December 7th will soon arrive. Never!! forget what happen on that DAY!!

M1WML likes this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KG5JAW

KG5JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the Net open to other Navy veterans as well? I was never on subs, just an aircraft carrier. Gordon, you’ve got an impressive history! That’s cool!

KG5JAW

WC5CW likes this.
  14. W4AUT

W4AUT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a Navy "RADIOMAN" Gordon represents the Rate we all loved and admired!!

15. WC5CW

WC5CW Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great story and tribute to Navy Radioman Gordon Read. His acumen and articulation of his experience 70 plus years ago is absolutely remarkable. As an amateur radio operator who never served in America's military service my invitation to operate 40m CW below decks of the battleship USS Texas, moored in the Houston Ship Channel, commemorating Pearl Harbor Day, December 7th, was an organized weekend event for several years in the late 1990's - early 2000's. An event that each December was both celebratory and sobering. Thank you for posting the memorable video of Gordon, W4YIH an American Patriot (!)

W4AUT likes this.