Google email and sync

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

So I have this Moto G5+ Android phone. Seems like when I got it I had to register with google with an email account to use it. But I don't like to use the 'cloud' stuff because of my ISP limitations (satellite with 20GB/mo. limit) so I've disabled all the cloud stuff and the gmail app. It seems like I have to accept sync to receive emails on the google mail, does this have anything to do with the cloud? Can someone explain this to me, especially the sync/cloud stuff. I usually leave the Gmail app disabled because I actually only use the thing as a phone or occasionally on WiFi for updates or to read newspapers online. Once in a while I enable the location and cell data so I can find addresses and get directions with the traffic app. I know, I'm a Luddite.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I understand it, Gmail syncs irrespective of whether you're in Chrome or not.

To avoid that, you might want to try a/the Mail app (in Android) that can download/upload your mail from multiple sites without having to log into them, e.g., G-mail, Hotmail, Outlook, iCloud, etc. You just have to decide whether you want it set to POP or IMAP.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Gmail IS the cloud. So is QRZ (it is hosted on AWS), so is just about everything you do online. It isn't necessarily a bad thing because it makes for very cheap computing and resources. For all practical purposes, if you play on the internet, you're using "the cloud". If you are worried about people getting access to your mail, you need to consider an encrypted mail service like:

https://www.tuta.io
    https://www.protonmail.ch

With that said, you have to decide how you want your mail. POP is going to allow you to download all your mail to your device and read it offline at your leisure. However, using it is going to result in a synchronization nightmare when you get on the web interface for Gmail, so unless you have some affinity for POP, don't use it. It is antiquated, it has very few use cases these days.

IMAP (and the IMAP protocol extensions like 'IMAP-IDLE') are the preferred choices for mail because it will always be in sync with what you do via other devices and interfaces, and it doesn't download the entire message until you call for it. It does download headers for each message in your mailbox, but unlike POP isn't going to burn bandwidth on messages you may never read.

The Gmail App uses a proprietary API that will use even less data and has near real-time notifications of new mail. However, it is going to want to tie that account to every other app on the Android device so from a privacy standpoint, it is pretty icky.

Not that I am anywhere near being a fan of Microsoft, but the Outlook app for Android and IOS is pretty damned good at what it does.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are worried about data usage, Just disable auto updates.

Sync is to keep everything you access email with, The same on all devices.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

What I meant by not liking the cloud thing is like my wife's iphone. Unless the 'cloud' is disabled with apps, it is constantly up/downloading things as you move around in different locations. We had a young kid here a while ago that used up 10GB in about 5 days with his iphone. Every time he would come in the house it would up/download who knows what. I had to cut him off. I'm sure everything he did was using the cloud. Of course he's used to unlimited data and doesn't understand, even if I tell him. Actually I just don't allow access to my router unless they understand the limits. I usually just tell them it's too much trouble. I also have the MAC address filters enabled and they never know what their MAC address is. I don't tell them I can find it.

So GMail is cloud based, like a lot of sites. That's OK as long as every time I go somewhere else or come in the house it is not reloading all the information I need.

With the android phone, I keep the wifi off, as well as my cell data off unless I'm using them. Auto updates is turned off. The phone only has 1GB data/mo. unlimited calls.

I'm not interested in syncing my email across different devices. The email in the phone is a different email (gmail account) than my hughesnet email. I just may want to use it someday, but most likely not, I can always just text people with their phone. I keep GMail disabled too unless I'm using it which is very rarely.

I guess I see no reason to turn on sync. I can get my hughes mail on the phone by going to hughes.net, which is still on my home computer through Thunderbird. I have that set to delete messages on the hughes mail server older than 2 weeks.

Another thing. Are pictures sent along with texts counted as data or text? AT&T service.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like you're not the only one with this problem.

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/89692/gmail-consuming-gb-of-data

There's a suggested solution there but someone says it doesn't work and the real solution is to give up on Gmail and use K-9 mail instead. Gmail supports POP so I assume you could use K-9 to read your Gmail. This might be a rare case where POP makes sense these days. It would pull messages down once and that's it.

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is, once you take advantage of ancillary Google's programs--e.g., Voice, Contacts, Calendar, Gmail, etc.--that are tied to Chrome, it's hard to dump them all since they're only a click away while in Chrome (which does a lot of syncing while logged in); you trade convenience for bandwidth use.

8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you send them strictly as SMS, which means the image data goes through AT&T's apn, then that doesn't count against your data. If you use a texting app, like Signal or Telegram or some Android equivalent to iMessage, then yes, it counts as data.

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I don't use chrome as far as I know, I use Firefox and DuckDuck. I don't use any of the google apps unless I need them and then I only allow location, etc when I'm using it. No use for Calendar, GMail, although I do use the contacts in the phone android moto phone app. Don't know if it's connected to google. As far as I'm concerned google, apple, facebook, etc is not my friend. Shoot most of the time the phone is off, it doesn't work in the house anyhow unless I turn on the wifi. It can't use the cloud if I don't have the phone on. Anyhow, I've apparently gotten the cloud turned off on my wife's iphone, she uses it to read the news and do crosswords and the data usage is minimal so I must have it under control.

NCR, thanks, I'm assuming the texting is SMS since it's through the iphone apple app whatever that is. Don't have any of those other second party apps installed.