ad: M2Ant-1

Google Drive - Space usage doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA3VSP, Aug 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone using Google Drive? Wondering if you have experienced what I'm seeing.

My Gmail is using 1.56GB of Google Storage. Google Drive allows up to 15GB free. Today, I wanted to back up some of my wife's documents and photos from an old computer, which is 14.6GB. Not being able to fit on the free Google Drive of 15GB, I've opted for the 100GB plan at $19.99/year.

So, I go and sync the folder that contains my wife's photos and documents. On my local drive, this folder is 14.6GB. After the sync to Google Drive, it is using 35.8GB. I've looked at the folder on Google Drive and I see no additional files.

No files in Trash.

Anyone else ever see this?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Not here, but just as a quick A-B test, pick one of the larger files on your local drive and compare its size to its duplicate on your Google drive--are they the same?

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of small files? Sector size/cluster size generally isn't a material issue for most systems but Google may have their drives optimized for speed, not storage, which makes things less efficient in terms of space. They may also be allocating a minimum amount of space for each file to prevent people from hammering their systems with lots of tiny files.

Listing each file may not tell you much because they will report the file size, not how much disk space is allocated to that file. Disk space allocated is larger almost 100% of the time.

KU4X and W7UUU like this.
  4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is may be correct.

These are not hard drives, it is a pool of object storage. The files are carved up into chunks of N size (say 1 megabyte), and each chunk gets run through fingerprinting, encryption and maybe deduplication. Each part gets its metadata recorded and dispatched to disparate data centers. A large file of 3 megabytes will consume a neat 3 chunks. A 100kb file, will consume a not so neat 1 megabyte chunk. Or whatever size they ultimately store their objects.

They ship it to disparate data centers for redundancy, and fingerprinting the data helps fight bit rot while data is at long-term rest.

KU4X likes this.
  5. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an update. I checked my Google Drive yesterday and it went from 35.8GB down to 19.1GB. Still higher than the 16GB that I see listed on my local drive folder and gmail. I've googled the issue and found many threads of people reporting the same thing. A lot have mentioned that it was due to files in the Trash folder, but again, I checked, and nothing there. Besides my phone data, the only files that I've uploaded was a single folder from my local PC.

I switched to Google Drive recently because I couldn't get Microsoft's OneDrive to continue to sync. I would play with it, and it would sync for a bit, but then stop. I posted this issue in another thread a couple of weeks ago. Still can't figure out what was up with that.

6. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

All the content you have in the trash directory also counts. You can delete it manualy before Google does it automaticely depending on the age. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/trash

73, Peter - HB9PJT