Goodbye FT8, Hello Olivia, The MAGIC Digital Mode For HF!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Oct 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1ZTY

N1ZTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you guys find Olivia on the bands? I have tried looking in various spots mentioned here: http://hflink.com/olivia/
    But so far not finding anything. Is it mostly just for Sked's ?

2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is replacing FT8? The most popular new mode in history. I don't think so. Click bait.
    AF4RK

3. N6VL

N6VL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry but Olivia was NOT around in the 90's. It was developed in 2003.

4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PSKReporter. Select "anyone" and the mode you're hunting. Perhaps the hours over what time window you want. Then select the icons to see what people are using.

Capture.PNG

N1ZTY likes this.
  5. K6SDW

K6SDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked everywhere and nothing, not a single Olivia signal, but lot's of FT8

6. EA5IYL

EA5IYL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to give both FT8 and Olivia a try when I get the hardware. And perhaps the other modes. FT8 seems made for trophies and contests. I am a total newbie and have only been working HF for about a week and all of my SSB QSOs in 20m have been much like FT8 QSOs!

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did not go back and read all the posts and may have already responded to this thread. I like Olivia and make an effort to work it from time to time. I DO NOT like all the different formats and trying to determine who is using a given format. Are all of those formats necessary? Lately been spending a fair amount of time on PSK-31 (also SSTV).