ad: MyersEng-1

Goodbye FT8, Hello Olivia, The MAGIC Digital Mode For HF!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Oct 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4UVR

N4UVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N4UVR

N4UVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric,
    FT8 Can be used to send more than call, grid, signal & "73". If you set up your macros you can send info like your rig, power, antenna and more. As long as you follow your completed contact and stay on that frequency, your contact can see your additional transmissions but without their call sign which normally would make that sequence turn red on their screen.
    They can have a macro set to send to acknowledge your final if they wanted.
    This is possible by any user on FT8 mode but not many trying it. I have seen a few but rare. It gives you a little more to do than just click and wait for the autosequence to finish the contact. You can send more! Just a few words at a time...
    Cory
    N4UVR

N0LOH likes this.
  3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say, "Goodbye Olivia and Hello FT8."

N0LOH likes this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Olivia was never that cute anyway... :cool:

N0LOH likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

But she sure could talk. :cool:

Good listener, too. ;)

N0LOH and NL7W like this.
  6. N1ZTY

N1ZTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you guys find Olivia on the bands? I have tried looking in various spots mentioned here: http://hflink.com/olivia/
    But so far not finding anything. Is it mostly just for Sked's ?

7. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is replacing FT8? The most popular new mode in history. I don't think so. Click bait.
    AF4RK

8. N6VL

N6VL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry but Olivia was NOT around in the 90's. It was developed in 2003.

9. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PSKReporter. Select "anyone" and the mode you're hunting. Perhaps the hours over what time window you want. Then select the icons to see what people are using.

Capture.PNG

N1ZTY likes this.
  10. K6SDW

K6SDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've looked everywhere and nothing, not a single Olivia signal, but lot's of FT8

11. EA5IYL

EA5IYL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to give both FT8 and Olivia a try when I get the hardware. And perhaps the other modes. FT8 seems made for trophies and contests. I am a total newbie and have only been working HF for about a week and all of my SSB QSOs in 20m have been much like FT8 QSOs!

12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did not go back and read all the posts and may have already responded to this thread. I like Olivia and make an effort to work it from time to time. I DO NOT like all the different formats and trying to determine who is using a given format. Are all of those formats necessary? Lately been spending a fair amount of time on PSK-31 (also SSTV).