Good starter QRO setup?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KI1SPK, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI1SPK

KI1SPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of getting a starter amp setup, and looking for any suggestions.

I have an Icom 7300, remote LDG RT100 tuner, and an elevated 43' vertical wire. I have been enjoying some casual phone DX contacts, and liked talking to Japan, Caribbean, South America, Europe over the CQ WW weekend with 100W. (Too bad the bands aren't always that busy with DX!)

I am thinking of going to 500-600W to be heard better over 20m and 40m. I want to stick to 120V wiring. I'm not looking for something with a lot of maintenance, as I'm kind of nervous about high voltage exposure and don't want to have to open up the box.

Budget is an issue, as I would need a new tuner as well. Most solid state seems out of budget. Ideally, maybe KPA500 used, but more than I want to spend. Is AL-811 good choice? I've been reading a lot of things about Ameritron QC.

Thanks!

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

look at the Ameriton als-600 - that is what i use. I bought it originally with my 7300 and LDG ATS-600. It is super low maintenance and easy to use with 120v wiring.

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

The AL-80B is a little more power (will make little difference on the other end, though), but it also a solid performer, and can be had reasonably on the used market.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For SS, if you look at the ALS-600 + LDG ATS-600 that combo "new" is about $2200.

The Elecraft KPA500 + matching KAT500 tuner from Elecraft, that combo new is about $2900.

For the $700 difference, I'd go with the Elecraft; however to find what one wants on the "used" market, and preferably a "local" deal so you can go check it out in person and not worry about shipping cost or shipping damage, might take a little time.

An AL-811 is certainly much cheaper but I don't really consider that a "beginner" amplifier because it not only requires tuning, it requires quick tuning, which is very easily done by people who are very familiar with tuning up tube rigs. Seems many newbies burn them up pretty fast simply because they don't know how to tune them, and tune them quickly. For an experienced op, tuning an AL-811 from scratch to finish takes less than ten seconds. But that's when the operator knows exactly what he's doing.

5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree and as Steve points out given the antenna you have you will need an antenna tuner that will handle the output power of whatever amp you wind up with